Archetype's Pro7 Mazda RX-7 race car

Archetype

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got ourselves a tow vehicle, which will also double as a promo vehicle once I've signwritten it, as well as Kayte's daily, and a campervan when we go away.

We bought it off Trade Me without actually seeing it in person. I'm not too happy with the condition of the interior or exterior, or some of the details that were left out of the auction description. I guess that's the risk you take when you place a bid without looking at it in person first though.

It looks a lot better in this photo compared to real life, but it'll scrub up ok with a bit of work:

306912_430131193676400_1590012209_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Continuing with my delayed coverage of the build progress, here are some pictures of some more shiny new parts.

Click here to read about it on my blog.

clutch_blog.jpg

flywheel_blog.jpg

breather_tank_blog.jpg

solid_engine_mounts_blog.jpg

emission_covers_blog.jpg

brake_light_blog.jpg

fire_extinguisher_blog.jpg

steering_wheel_blog.jpg

gearknob_blog.jpg

socket_set_blog.jpg

rattle_gun_blog.jpg

link_computer_blog.jpg

k_and_n_filter_blog.jpg

Things are going pretty well at the moment, despite the lack of updates on the actual car. I'm a bit embarrassed at the state of it, looks wise, but I'll get some better pics up soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a hell of a lot at all really. Remove the turbos/intercooler and replace with N/A exhaust (the design is free). All internal parts are factory and non-modified (no porting allowed), and we all run Link G4 computers.

So that just leaves the basics - the exhaust, the air intake, and a few small gains here and there by getting rid of stuff like the power steering, etc.

Nah - all Pro7 Plus cars have to use the housings and plates from the FD RX-7. The RX-8 and NA Series 5 rotors were allowed a couple of years ago, but they made a significant power difference and were banned to keep things level for everyone. There's an ex-Pro7 car on Trade Me at the moment that still has the NA Series 5 rotors in it:

224428441_full.jpg

To encourage participation numbers, the latest Pro7 rules allow any engines that were built with RX-8 rotors before June 2011 to race in the 2012/2013 season. Not sure where that leaves the Series 5 non-turbo rotors though.

C4.4.1 Mazda RX 8 Rotors, (part numbers N3Z111810C (Front) and N3Z111850C (Rear)), if fitted to

the car prior to 18 June 2011, may be used during the 2012/13 season. All such rotors shall

comply with the following:

· The minimum weight shall be 4205grams, inclusive of ring gear and bearing shell.

· Any machining may only be the minimum required to achieve engine balancing, and

must be in compliance with Article C4.9.

All cars fitted with these RX8 Rotors must be presented for engine sealing by the Series

Scrutineer prior to, or at the first Round to be contested by that car. The engine shall be

double sealed and the vehicle’s logbook annotated accordingly. The approval to use these

rotors shall be rescinded once any of these seals are broken, for whatever reason.

Note: The onus shall rest entirely

That car above would be a really good buy for anyone wanting to get into Pro7s. It may have been cheaper and easier for me to buy that, rather than building my own.

Nah - all Pro7 Plus cars have to use the housings and plates from the FD RX-7. The RX-8 and NA Series 5 rotors were allowed a couple of years ago, but they made a significant power difference and were banned to keep things level for everyone. There's an ex-Pro7 car on Trade Me at the moment that still has the NA Series 5 rotors in it:

Interesting, my neighbour said they made next to no difference. S5 ones might be a better match for the FD housings perhaps?