Archetype's Pro7 Mazda RX-7 race car

Archetype

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear you're okay, Brent, as well as your passengers.

some awesome forces involved there, we certainly don't expect our towbars to snap like a chicken wishbone. I wonder if the trailer's repairable; your friends may end up with a new one on insurance.

man that's going to be costly for the other guys insurance co!

Yeah, there's 4 damaged vehicles (and 4 owners involved) between the van, trailer, RX-7 and the other guy.

My car is still over in Tirau, which I'm not happy about, but it sounds like it's being brought back today. I was looking forward to a break from working on it/spending money, but with the next round being just 5 1/2 weeks away, there's still plenty to do now that there is damage to fix as well. :x

Here's a pic from before the accident:

546843_475901659099353_338815882_n.jpg

Here's a write-up from KiwiMotoring that I did for last Friday's practice day:

The 2nd round of the IRC Series at Taupo Motorsport Park this past Labour Weekend included my first ever race meeting - the 1st round of the 2012/2013 Mazda Pro7 Racing Series. This is what I had been working towards over the past 18 months, and I was determined to be there, no matter what.

6 weeks ago, I was well on my way to having my car ready for racing, and I even had plans to get to Hampton Downs for a casual practice day before the big event at Taupo. This would have given me the chance to sort out any issues with the car - as being a fresh build, there were bound to be a few things that needed to be refined. It would also have given me some vital experience behind the wheel, as I've only ever done track days and dual sprints in my road-going MX5.

Alas, this was not to be, as the original electrician who was meant to be doing my wiring let me down in a big way, and my car sat untouched for 3 weeks as I waited and wondered what was going on. I'll cover this and the rest of my build progress in a retrospective blog post later, but for now I'll focus on my first ever drive of the RX-7 at the practice day last Friday. I left Hamilton at around 3.40am on Friday morning after working on it all day and night to try and finish the car in time. Arriving at Taupo Motorsport Park at around 5.20am, I pulled up outside the gate with a sigh of relief and slept for 2 hours in the driver's seat, as the back of the van was full of gear. It was surprisingly warm and comfortable, but I guess my body was grateful for any rest after the week I'd had!

When the gates were open, I unloaded the RX-7 in our allocated area in the pits and started working on the car again, as there was still a bit to do before I could get out on the track. As I worked as quickly as I could, a few of the other Pro7 guys arrived and gave me a hand. A massive thank you must go out to Matt Gibson Motorsport, as without Matt and his team, I doubt I would have seen much track action that day.

irc_taupo_20-10-12_10_b.jpg

We had 5 practice sessions available for us throughout the day, and after missing the first 2 in the morning, I was finally ready to head out. A sense of excitement came over me as I sat on the dummy grid, but I was also feeling quite relaxed at the same time. We were waved out onto the track and I took it easy for the first few laps as the car warmed up, and I studied the braking points and apexes. I'd been around 'Track 2' before, but this was the first time that I'd been around 'Track 1', which includes the big straight down the back.

irc_taupo_20-10-12_26_b.jpg

The car felt good, so I pushed a little harder with every lap. The Pro7 class was paired up with the Pre65 class for practice, so I followed a few of them to get used to being amongst other cars in close quarters, and to see what lines to follow. Terry Loving's Series 1 RX-7 (pictured) was a good one to follow, as it is very quick down the straights. It was nice to be able to pass a few of them comfortably when I felt like it too. I wasn't being timed for any of the practice runs, so I had no accurate idea as to how I compared to others at this stage. The last 2 sessions went well, and I finished practice feeling reasonably confident about my next track challenge - qualifying.

Towards the end of the day I took the car in for scrutineering, and to my surprise, the RX-7 passed with flying colours. I was allowed to qualify for racing the next day! Stay tuned for my thoughts on Saturday's qualifying and Race 1.

Edit: Cool - the new forum grabs all the pics and links too when I copy and paste.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mike, here's what was damaged:

- 2 rims

- Bent steering

- Broken front bumper

- Dent and scrap on drivers side

- Minor cosmetic damage to rear wing

The car has just been dropped off to me now so I can work on it over the weekend. Two new rims have been put on, and the panel and paint has been done. The front bumper is still being repaired, so that'll get sorted next week.

I'll be doing the steering this weekend, as well as a whole lot of little things that I wanted to do after the first round 5 weeks ago.

46219_487589947930524_1365381805_n.jpg

• Like 1

Good to see its all fixed up, bet you can't wait to get back out there.

Yep, I'm looking forward to it, although I'm a bit worried about the weather forecast. Not keen on driving a mobile sauna again.

The car's loaded up and ready to go, and I'm leaving for Manfeild this evening. Now I've just got to concentrate on doing a full day's work.