LOWERING STARLET

troyzakp60

Bags of sand or stacks of tiles. Easy to stow sand in/around engine bay and is good if your on a budget (only need sacks). Tiles would probably be more suitable in the boot and can be stacked to desired ride height. Pretty legit. I wouldn't recommend liquids. They can upset the balance of the car during cornering. Good luck.

So you're proabably looking to go close to the 100mm limit? Shorter/compressed/cut springs and shocks is fairly simple and there is likely a shop that provides these services locally. Most probably the cheapest way to lower legally. Alternatives like adjustable or frankenstein struts require cert and would be expensive if you didn't have access to equipment.

Just need the extended length of the shocks you have. When you jack up the car you should be able to measure this length. You would then need to know the un compressed length of the cobra lows to find how much lower you can go.

yeah, contrary to popular belief, cut springs aren't necessarily illegal. the front of my car has short shocks and cut springs and its captive as, rides pretty nice too. i openly discuss the fact that the springs are cut at wof time and i've never had an issue, usually praised for going about it safely and not chopping 50% of the spring out and riding on bump stops.

the more you cut from the spring, the stiffer it will get.

Not illegal to cut springs no, but you do need a cert.

Didn't think you did need a cert for cut springs? They are effectively the same as buying shorter springs just with different stiffness properties (so long as the ends are the same i.e a flat coil or something). So long as they are captive I thought it was fine

Did you look into the rules?

I'm just going by the rules you have to follow to get a WOF. Not sure what else you can go by really..... the internet is NOT a reliable source though. Only mentioned it as the post further up almost implies cut springs are sweet as even without a cert, which is not the case. Last thing we need is people giving out incorrect information IMO.

Have a read: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm- ... g-v4a2.pdf Fliboy probably should too.

Not sure cops / wof inspectors / insurance companies will accept "but someone on OS said it wasn't "illegal" to do it..." as a valid excuse. :wink:

In any case, the fellas over at www.club-k.co.nz will know every known combination to lower your starlet if you have no luck here.

Cheers for the link BZGBling.

It appears cut springs do need a cert.

I was just going on what I have been told by my cert man in the past so thought I would question it. I don't mind being proven wrong though. Thanks

I ran 15x7's with a 205/50/15 inside the guards. And have since gone to 15x8's with flares, but if i wasn't stuck with a 15'' rim to clear my brakes I'd probably be rolling some 14x8 rear 14x7 front with something around 195 wide.