weber or dellortos???

fordcapri1980

whats your carb preference??  

24 members have voted

1. 1. whats your carb preference??

• weber
    • dellorto

On both my Avengers I run dual Dellorto DHLA40's.

On the Avengers the Dellortos make much more power due to the finer fuel atomization. This make a huge difference due to the head and small combustion chamber. So in that case the Dellorto is the easy choice.

On the other hand my Chargers has a 265 Hemi which on the E49 etc they run Triple Weber DCOE45's and because of the larger Hemi combustion chambers they like the larger fuel droplets of the Weber. So in that case Weber is the easy choice.

I don't know what the heads and combustion chambers are like on the Pinto engine so I can't say which is better on that engine but myself on a small engine I would lean towards Dellortos.

6 of one half a dozen of the other.

People say Dellorto is more a street carb, I couldn't say.

When you get some, look for a set off a 2.0, like yours, some off a smaller motor will cost a lot to jet and tune for your motor.

What ever you get check them over very carefully before you buy, every meat head with a screw driver thinks that they are a tuning expert when it comes to side draughts.

20 years ago I read in street machine magazine (regarding 6 pack hemi 6's) that dellorto's stayed in tune better than webers. That said another fuckwit I once met said that "webers are a race carb, and dellorto's are a street carb".

and now you all know just as much as me on the issue. (Sweet fuck all)

IMO dellortos look better

Damn straight. They sound better also.

if someone wants to lend me some webers we could do a comparative run?

This is from an old acticle by David Vizard about tuning Avenger engines I posted on the Avenger forum. Dellorto Vs Weber at different temps. You can see a big drop off in the Webers. But that is only due to the Avengers engine design.

Carb Dellorto Dellorto Weber

RPM @70° @88° @88°

5000 90HP 87HP 84HP

6000 118HP 115HP 107HP

6500 125HP 121HP 114HP

7000 128HP 125HP 119HP

7500 132HP 128HP 117HP

Yeah it is pretty night and day on an Avenger but that same article has a guide on how to modify the weber to get finer fuel droplets which boosts the HP of the Webers by about 3HP but the Dellortos still beat the Weber by 11HP. In Group 1 racing in UK they were stuck using Webers because it was what the Avenger Tiger came out with but you were allowed to modify the internals of the carb. All the open class Avengers back in the day used Dellortos due to the extra power you can get out of them.

I did heaps of research in to Weber Vs Dellorto when I built my race car. But as I said before most if this info only applies to engines like the Avengers which has tiny little combustion chambers and hates large fuel droplets.

Anyway that is enough ranting from me.

dellortos and webers are so similar anyone saying one is thaaaat much better than the other is full of it. same goes for the street/race comments. either can be setup to run perfectly well for street or race, providing the carb is correctly sized for the application. the webers have more parts available, although some parts are interchangeable and you can still most dellorto bits if you must I believe.

Both brands have twin choke sidedraft and downdraft models. the main difference is that weber made hundreds of different types of OE carbs for many different manufacturers and applications.