4age blown head gasket??

ms53_wagon

Can you think of any reason it might have blown a head gasket then??

its possible that milky under the cap could simply be a result of residue in the engine from getting hot and cold

trust me, that can happen, often even,

Just thought of this after I re-read 1st post, and checked to see if mentioned - did milky shit seem to go away after it had run up to temp?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is from skim reading a good batt at 4.s or whatever that goes tuurr RUT . *might* indicate leakage into one cylinder. from my experiance if the intake manifold has coolant jackets and the the gasket is common then its can weep through ( ca is good example with thermo housing in intake manifold ) i might be way off buuuut if im not fix it because my gasket let go at 6k+ and lead to and awesome catastrophic engine failure :lol:

^ true

However no, 4ages do not have water going through the manifolds

Only water in that area are two lines that go to the throttle body, and wont cause the sysmptom your suggesting

However yes hemi i agree, it is also a possible sign of leakage into a cyclinder. Did think that before, but still would like you to try swapping batterys first.

heh, and sorry xxspeed. i was wrong, correct charge out for most vehicles is 14.4, :wink:

Hey again,

Bettery is a sealed unit and i checked it with a tester and it said it was sweet, also started up this morning so i think its OK?.

My father in law (not mechanically minded) took the car to the local mechanic who he knows.

The mechanic did something where he took 1 spark plug off and started it up? apparently water/steam came out the spark plug hole? which is not good. This is a second hand description so im not exactly sure till i get home from work and talk with him..

Mechanic seemed to think head gasket or cracked head etc.

Looks like ill be taking off the head to find out the damage and whether its just a gasket or the head. :(

Ive got some prices for gaskets/belts/pump etc etc and to get all parts is looking around $550. I've heard i need new head bolts too?

if a head plane was needed what sort of $$ would i be looking at?

Cheers

you wont need a whole engine gasket set, just a head set which would include the head gasket, both manifold gaskets, rocker cover gaskets and valve stem seals etc.

i think the prices i got were just the top gasket set. about 240+gst for toyota...?

got the head off finally, bit of a fuck around but not too bad.

looks like the drama was around the 4th cylinder.

the block doesnt look too healthy to me but what do you think?

see the scoring around the cylinder edge.....

dscf0320n.jpg

dscf0315e.jpg

dscf0317x.jpg

dscf0318s.jpg

i have not cleaned up the head face yet to see what it looks like but i will and ill post some pics of that too.

i really dont want to have to take the block out..........

but will it be a waste putting a headgasket on this?

cheers

yeah doesn't look too good, you could whack another head gasket on there but it will just blow again. I would say judging by the coolant galleries that it hasn't been run with anti-freeze for a while.

Gave the block face a little clean up with 800 grit wet and dry, came up a little bit better but still about the same.

Still got to clean it up more and the head - will post some pics when i can.

IF.............i was to put a gasket on this could i expect to get a little use out of it? whats your thoughts?

I was thinking it may be a good idea to buy me a couple weeks or a month to find a good replacement engine.

It will also give me experience in completing the process from start to finish as i havn't done that before.

Anything i can do with the pitted area (without getting the block decked) to try and increase the life of a new HG?

When i remove this 4age i might use it for a rebuild and put my RWD bits on to replace my 4k engine.

Just weighing up my options really.

Cheers

Dan