4age blown head gasket??

ms53_wagon

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if there is no pitting in the first 3mm ish out from the bore then id say your good to go for a little bit longer/maybe long time with just a new gasket and a head skim

re: head skim and grumpy bearings, a service skim is normaly only <5thou and makes bugger all difference to cylinder pressures/bearing load.

so, if i was to get the block machined...what do i need to do?

i assume they need pistons and everything removed to machine it?

I could pull all this apart but i dont know whats involved with putting it back together? balancing etc?

Is it best to just give them the block all together with pistons etc and get them to do it all?

bores looked ok but am i likely to need a hone/new rings? what about the bottom end bearings? best to get these replaced?

any idea of costs to get machining etc done.

What about getting another good condition block and putting my pistons etc in it?

I might be weird, but i want to keep it bluetop rather than a newer 20v etc. and i have not seen any for sale lately on trademe etc.

Cheers

honestly it's not worth it. To face the block it will only be $80-100 or so but that equates to effectively removing material from the cylinder head and therefore drastically increasing the compression ratio, and even running into troubles with the piston crown hitting the underside of the head, or valves coming into contact with the pistons.

To rebuild that engine properly you would be looking at $1000-1500 at a minimum. You don't reuse rings and bearings, especially if you are increasing the compression ratio. I wouldn't fit your used pistons into another used block, both engines will wear the pistons/bores at a different rate so you'll end up with mis-matched piston to bore clearances. You would be better off just buying brand new pistons and getting the cylinders bored out to the next over-size.

A guy here in Hamilton has a couple of blue tops sitting on pallets ready to go onto Trademe, one is a good running engine but was quite tired (ie lower in compression than a fresh engine), and the other is an engine suitable for parts. Let me know if you want his details.

Iv got a mint bluetop that had a brand new head on it in 2007 from MR2.

Will be coming out in about 3 weeks.

1001228o.jpg

$500 and comes with a free gearbox, race cams not included but has factory ones.

Can video it running if you wan't but can't drive it cos its so good it smashed the clutch.

Iv got a mint bluetop that had a brand new head on it in 2007 from MR2.

Will be coming out in about 3 weeks.

1001228o.jpg

$500 and comes with a free gearbox, race cams not included but has factory ones.

Can video it running if you wan't but can't drive it cos its so good it smashed the clutch.

hey man, that sounds like exactly what i'm after.

I'll PM you

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to pull the block and rest of engine etc out today. to make room for a new one.

I pulled it out but left the gearbox in place - was a f*&kin mission.

How have other people done this for FWD 4ages/ae82's? i pretty much had to strip everything off the front (water pump, mount, alt, PS, AC.....) just to get enough room to move the engine to the left to get the clutch and pressure plat out of the bellhousing.bloody FWD's!!

Im thinking it may have been easier to pull the whole thing out with gearbox etc???

I want to be able to keep/put as much of the new engine together out of the car so i have room. But i dont think it will go back in with the gearbox still in there? thoughts....

atleast now i can go about cleaning up the engine bay and accessories before putting the new engine in.

chur