B1600 engine upgrade options

lou

a mate of mine had a later model b2000 that had a 1.8 turbo gtx motor and mx5 gearbox in it im sure theres some video of it on youtube some were but i can't find it i was impressed by the power that it had also was alot of fun rwd with a good lsd utes don't usually have alot of weight on the back wheels

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also note thats a US spec left hook beast, so you will have throttle bodies in the way of any brake booster..

Just used that as an example. Wasnt really thinking of the quad tb's. And yeah, did notice its a lefty.

Mazda don't usually do a detatchable bell housings except the later S4 RX7 type box.

Some E2000 vans came with a FE motor and S4 type box with a remote shifter.

Could a van bell, housing twin cam motor, and RX7 box work?

Also earlier B2000 had FE sohc 8v motors and smaller gearboxes, could work too?

FE experts correct me if I'm wrong.

Here it is. I saw this a while ago.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =363466721

Mazda don't usually do a detatchable bell housings except the later S4 RX7 type box.

Some E2000 vans came with a FE motor and S4 type box with a remote shifter.

Could a van bell, housing twin cam motor, and RX7 box work?

Also earlier B2000 had FE sohc 8v motors and smaller gearboxes, could work too?

FE experts correct me if I'm wrong.

Here it is. I saw this a while ago.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =363466721

early b1600/2000s like this one can use a s1 rx7 type bellhousing,so do the vans (and 626s from memory)

the next model b series uses the s4 style bellhousing

so do the mx5's and i think the luce/929s aswell..

Ok, so a little bit of research suggests that the gold top FE dohc is the one I'm wanting. (Suposedly the best of the bunch)

I'm having a look around and it doesnt seem like they come in RWD format. I do notice that the b series posted above does use one though which would explain why hes running a custom plenum? Other than the intake setup/headers would anyone know what else would need to be changed?

Also, aparently these will bolt straight up to a F2 gearbox. Whats the easiest way to check what sort of gearbox my truck has baring in mind Its had a gearbox conversion.

Also, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =372251691 hmm.

Suprised no one has mentioned the 13B RE...

because theyr a waste of time....

ive been there,done that,brought the t shirt, got the photo...just like 1000s of others..

4cyl screamer would be cool in an old ute...

Right then, as you were

:) I would be keen to do a Rotary just to say I've done one but this is going to be a daily driver.

I want something basic. I also one something that i won't be scared of getting stolen whenever I'm not in it.

Modifying engine mounts is fairly straight forward. No reason to take a step back from an engine conversion imo.

The link lies in the simplicity of other things. Key is being able to bolt a RWD gearbox on easily, preferably either the one you already have, or another that is cheap and easy to get. An advantage of using the gearbox you already have, other than not having to buy one, is the fact you know it will fit. A disadvantage is that it may be weak.

If you can do the gearbox side easily, the next thing I would look at which is key, is that the motor will fit in the bay. This isn't just straight dimensions, you must also look at the sump bowl position in relation to the cross-member, clearance to water jacket (particularly important when spinning a FWD engine), intake manifold clearance to brake booster, brake master and clutch master, and other things like this.

Next most important to me at least, is the suitability of the engine to your needs. Obviously its a twin cam injected engine making alright power, but how hard are they to find? How hard are parts to come buy, and is there tuning potential in the engine? How hard will the wiring and plumbing be? Any known serious faults with these motors?

I really think you are on the right track for what you want with the DOHC FE, so look into the things I mentioned above and see if its going to work. Even if some things don't check out it's not the end of the world, you then just need to weigh up the cost to get around the issue - custom sump, link ecu, custom intake - and decide whether this is enough of a set back to rule out using this engine, or if even with this extra cost, it is still worth persuing.