B1600 engine upgrade options

lou

I'm contemplating things I could do to the B1600 for a little bit more power.

I have a few little ideas in my head but being rather unfamilia with Mazda's in general I'm not sure what would be the go.

A little advice and maybe some suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to spend a fortune and would like something that is going to be reasonably reliable.

Engine swap? (Not sure what would actualy fit).

Motorcycle carbs? Thinking it would probably be a bitch to get tuned/keep tuned

Convert to EFI? Probably a bit expensive.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO engine upgade is the only real option. If going to that effort then somekind of small Mazda V6 would be mean as it would give you some good getup and go + make a great tow ute. I was looking at the small capacity V6's but was struggling to find info on what boxes mate up.

Gaz

what engine is in it atm? presumeably a 1.6L ?

I wouldn't imagine a b1600 weighs too much, so if you could be 100hp out of the 1600 motor it would move along quite nicely. Whats required to get that from the current engine depends on what specs it has, compression, valve sizes, cam etc.

if you can find all the engine specs and pics of the head people can probably give you some decent advise.

I thought that would be the case.

I'm not hugely fussed on the ability to tow shit as a)it doesnt have a towball and b)my 3 litre camry does.

I'm hoping to find something that would bolt straight in. The 626 engine and box's of the similar year bolt straight in to my knowledge but what about the later years when they went to EFI?

what engine is in it atm? presumeably a 1.6L ?

I wouldn't imagine a b1600 weighs too much, so if you could be 100hp out of the 1600 motor it would move along quite nicely. Whats required to get that from the current engine depends on what specs it has, compression, valve sizes, cam etc.

if you can find all the engine specs and pics of the head people can probably give you some decent advise.

The engine has had a recent rebuild before I got it. At the moment its running like balls, assuming it needs a tune and will get onto that shortly.

I'm pretty sure its friggen mint as she turn over first pop with fuck all winding (unless really cold) and the response is superb when I give it a rev out of gear.

extractors/cam/weber downdraft is the usualy minor upgrade combo but it will depend on the compression ratio how useful a bigger cam will be. twin side drafts or bike carbs could give more but more $$$ and more stuffing around.

but I don't know the motors - if the 2L is a sack then the 1.6L doesn't have alot of hope, you might add 15% but 15% of stuff all wont make so much difference if its that bad to start with.

in the end it comes back to the old how fast do you want to go/how much to you want to spend.

efi on an ma engine would probably come up short of expectations,

later model b2000/2200/2600 engine would be your closest options for direct bolt in i'd imagine.

there are a miriad of buick and holden v6's availible that fit perfectly with some cutting and welding

seriously go the mx5 route..

its still a mazda,rwd spec,efi, and dohc...not overly powerful in stock form but can be boosted.

easy as to mount in there..the box is the same size pretty much..

may even get away with using the stock driveshaft if the yoke is the same spline.

and you can get them cheap enough...

Interesting exaust setup. Wonder if they just pop straight out the guards.

Other than the exaust, what would the difference between the f8/fE's froma capella?

I would assume the plenum be facing the wrong way?

From memory, FWD and RWD motors have different auxilary plates on the front and back of the head for the thermostat housing and distributor. Most of them had carbs. They went OK though.

The V8 is a good idea too.