Spennos Buick Estate

KKtrips

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Bags would be my number one choice but yea as Simon says, you can't really get bags engineered here. You can but its many hoops to jump through and there is no way it will be legal and be able to lay out or anything. It has to be fully auto controlled with no access to the control system etc. Basically I would have just done it if I was rolling the car as I bought it (ie rough) but now its painted and I have poured allot of money into it I want to keep it legal and fully insured (you can get sued here so yea)

Ready to send at my freight forwarding company are some springs with a 3" drop for the rear and some new HD front springs to chop. To deal with the load variance I am going to play around with a set of air shocks and/or some air helper springs, once I figure out if this will work I will rig it up on a small compressor with a controller so I don't have to find a gas station with air to pump it up.

So still to do:

-Also have a nice headunit that looks factory as shit but has iPod control, aux in, USB 3xRCA outs etc will be much nicer than running a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable into the amp.

-I have a spot sorted for some shallow 10" subs to go in the back for some extra punch.

-put the AC back in and get all the vacuum climate control gear going

-paint all the interior trim (huge job!)

-Once all that's done I will drop it at my interior guys place and get a headlining made and all the insides tidied up

-some wide steels for Lee

So yea it never ends

Yea hauling up 2.5 tonnes more than once with drums wouldn't be fun, plus its nice not having it want to change lanes every time you brake on the motorway. Drums were pretty standard fare until abit later in the 70's, especially since the underpinnings of this car are from 65. The GM full size range only got disks if you optioned them or your car was more upmarket/sporty like the Riviera etc.

The factory drums are pretty awesome though, they are massive at around 13" and are a sweet finned alloy, they are desirable with hot rod guys. Might have to crack them out at the next swap meet for a laugh

• 3 months later...
Guest Spencer

Yea so essentially just increases your spring rate and doesn't let the springs compress as far, unloaded it will lift the rear end up 2-3" with about 30psi, they make the car sit allot better on the road when loaded up. Air shocks are abit stink in that they pump up a air chamber on the shock and put the extra load on the shock mounts which is less that ideal, I have some new air shocks as well for just in case. Plus they are valved for towing so they are allot firmer than all the other jelly options

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Also hows that vinyl roof 8-10 months on?

I was thinking about non-vinyl on my prem, but as it used to have one it's not so tidy so would need a lot of work to get it sorted for a good finish, so leaning towards vinyl especially after seeing yours

Yea sadly vinyl roof cars usually roofs that had defects from the press, usually a bit of work to get them nice for paint. My vinyl roof looks like it did the day they installed it, the car lives in a garage but has been out and about in the weather and the vinyl is holding up fine, there is a thick coat of epoxy and 2 pac top coat on there so I don't see it rusting or fading over my lifetime if the car is kept in a garage. Most old shitters you see with fucked vinyl roofs and rust have been out in the weather most of their life and have a real measly paint coating under them from factory, all the hype that vinyl roofs will fuck out and rust is bullshit, unless you put one on and go park it in the weather for 30 years. So yes do it Steeb, vinyl roofs are cool.