Spennos Buick Estate

KKtrips

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet!

May have missed but are you not going bags in the front because of weird suspension design or just that you dont have time to build something as the rear bolts in?

Um I'll get to the front Simon, just want to keep it on the road as much as possible and not tackle to many aspects of it at once and demobilise it like I have now. The rear bag kit literally bolts into the spring perches, plus the back sees the most variable load, it wallows around and is super slammed when you're 8 up. The front is standard as shit double wishbones; in fact it is pretty much the same as B-body impalas etc of the same year. I could slam in shockwaves and not have to do any mods to the front but I am unsure if I will be happy with how low they go. They only have 4" of travel, this could mean they won’t go low enough or won’t go up enough to get over stuff, need to have a good measure up. Other option is a proper separate bag and shock setup, which requires cutting and making new shock mounts, no biggie but I’ll leave that option for later.

Jeff it should be back together in a couple weeks

Cheers for the comments, I'd bring it home for sure when I'm done here, that could be years away though

Nice work Spence -

PS if you are worried about fucking the block with machining and want to wait - you could pick up a BBC for 3 or 4K ready to rowl - you'll need a different tranny though cos the bellhousing pattern is different from BOP to Chev motors.

I couldnt bring myself to go BBC sadly, Buick 455's are dope in there own shitty weak block, oiling issues way! Also the buick is basically allot smaller and lighter than a BBC due to the thin wall castings. The one in there is running real strong and has good comp, so hopefully it will se me a couple of years. Then I'll either rebuild that spare myself with alloy heads (been pointed to a good machinist) or order one in. These things with alloy heads and the mildest of cams will squirt out 500hp should be fun

Speaking of boxes and bell patterns, Im also on the hunt for an overdrive at the moment (well when I have some extra cash) going to go 200R4 which aren't known for their strength, but should be able to build it strong enough. Plus it makes it so easy as they are dual pattern and the same length as the 400

Haha yea they are the lower spec box, but the 200R4 came behind the GNX turbo v6 it honestly has its merits, there's guys punching out 9's on the 200's with some money thrown at them. I could go adapter plate and run a 700 but the 700 doesnt get much love it seems

For a blurb on the 200

http://www.jakesperformance.com/200-4R_ ... _Tech.html

Its the most common swap onto the BBB for cruisers, drag buick guys wont touch them obviously

Yea wont take long now roof is the worst bit, the heat was the final straw that made me get stuck into it, it was almost unbearable to drive now its summer haha (factory sound deadening was gone it was just steel -> carpet) XXXX gold is like Australia's double brown :D

Ran into a guy I knew from Taupo who is a AC guru last week, he's keen as to change all my AC gear over to run the new style gas, be lush to get the AC cranking

Oh also you dudes got any tips on making/finding lush speaker grills? the yank chap who owned it had cut some holes in the rear trim to fit some speakers. I plan to tidy his hack job up and slam some decent speakers in the hole but would be nice to make them look like they were meant to be

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of brown, what about getting some suiting brown vinyl/cloth and cover that with the existing/new mesh covers? Might be a temporary fix till you find something that's lush

As for roof lining material, use some of spanks sweet shirts he used to use for h-town back in the day