The offroad thread!

DodgySam

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah have heard vh45 was a bolt in proposition,

wouldn't do more than 36/7's as you have to cut way too much out of the guards.

mates swb is on 37's and its plenty capable ,

bennetts safa who's his mate is friggin cyco with 37x16's on bead locks

haha yeah 42s would be ridiculous.

37s swampers would be sweet. you'd never diff out on tracks here, everyone else is still running 33s mostly.

tbh i'd be inclined to fit something like 35s under it and cut the guards, keeping as little suspension lift as possible for stability/to help keep some of it's tow manners.

with safari/patrol, vh45 bolts straight to 4.2D motors AUTO gearbox using the v8's bellhousing.

You can also put vh45's auto gearboxes internals into the 4.2D auto box which gives you extra clutch packs. I've done this.

Obviously have to make engine mounts so its not "bolt in"

To have a manual box behind a vh45 you need to make an adaptor plate.

the other safari gearboxes other than 4.2 D and P are small and weak and puss. Don't buy one of thise vehicles thinking that its a good starting point.

35's fit on a safari/patrol with a bit of guard cutting and welding. 37's don't really fit without A LOT of guard cutting and welding. I know as I had 37" creepy crawlers for mine. you really need atleast a 4" lift to run with 35 or 37" tires.

Hope that helps.

lift springs also have a firmer spring rate than standard from my experience- but usually you will have a selection of rates to cater for different vehicle setups. You should be able to find heavy duty lift springs suitable for towing.

Of more importance IMO is your tire selection while on the road. mud tires and tires that are bias ply (eg creepy crawler) can wander all over the place and drive/stop like shit.

how rubbish do lift kits make 4wds when it comes to towing stuffs? do they wallow around?

thinking 80 series landcruiser if that matters

depends on the kit and the vehicle. if you keep swaybars attached and aren't going silly high I wouldn't think it would be a big deal in an 80 series. take of swaybars/make disconnects for offroadtime.

RB30 in any patrol would be puss as shit unless it had the crap supercharged out of it. pratols are really heavy.

yuh they're usually stripped for their portals, too :(

would love something forward control. be all van but not, at the same time. hah.

plus you don't have to wear your seatbelt. could be no seatbelt, turning round grabbing some shoes saying 'check these out thelma', crash into some joker and his kids going to rugby and not fly out the windscreen due to trapped legs.

what?

but yeah, c303 are mean. they're fiercely underpowered, though.