The offroad thread!

DodgySam

I've had no luck at all with those chinese winches. Been through two of them on the van. Rain water seems to get into the motor and stuffs the brushes/armature.

I've never driven it through a river so the winch has never been submerged but still two brand new winches were toast because of water/rust inside the motor.

The last new one I fitted, I sealed around the motor with silicone before fitting. Never used it for over a year, then when I needed it, it wouldn't go. Armature was welded to the case with rust!

Buggered if I know how the rain gets into them..

reel.jpg

So if anyone need parts for these winches (except the motor) I have two sets of everything else..

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well mine got well tried and tested yesterday and went very well, I didn't submerge it though - mine is mounted quite high and we usually get out the pick axe and drain bogs if we can before charging in. I can attest that the gearbox end isn't very well sealed from when I took it apart to fix the cable attachment but I haven't looked too closely at the motor side in that respect.

always wondered what those cheap winches are like. how grunty are they? take it winch speed would be fairly slow yeh?

our safari has the factory pto winch. is awesome other than the feed rollers on the spool could go relocating. quite amusing when used mates surf as and anchor point. dragging his truck into the mudhole rather then pulling safari out.

/ put some side pipes on it today. nice stream of smoke out the side now. excuse the street wheels!

102_0137s.jpg?w=640&h=479

The 5000lb winches I've used are not fast. They are variable speed though, so as the load comes on it gets slower but keeps pulling. I also have a snatch-block pulley to double up the cable/power.

My brother has the 9500lb version on a Vitara, It will lift the thing off the ground no probs. And he's had no problem with that winch at all. Drives through rivers, bogs, submerged half the time. The bigger winch seems to be a better unit reliability wise.

vitara.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

don't really dig my ones eh. perhaps I should get my valve stems all changed so they're the same depth or set each one up on it's own wheel and engrave it or something but they always let the tyres down different amounts. weird.

might hit up one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =479279584 as a joker I went with a couple of times to do some skids had one and it was lush.