Running with no head gasket. WHAAAAAAT????

shavenYak

So yeah, the little Subaru is still sitting in my driveway. Have determined that the head gasket I got was from a different series engine and did not quite cover the rear oil galleries.

I asked a local engine re-conditioner to call his suppliers and source the correct model gasket, but they couldn't get them anymore.

So I had this idea that I'd have a go running without a gasket at all.

Will this work? I'm thinking I'd have to use a thin layer of silicone to seal the water and oil.

Engine is a 2 cylinder, compression is 9.5:1

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20786

What are your thoughts?

Awesome? Stupid?

it would drastically raise the compression ratio - if it did manage to run alright your big end bearings will be toast in a few months. The block and head surfaces would have to be absolutely flat in order for the head and block to seal.

That wont work.

Do you still have the old gasket?

Make a new one.

Make a new one off the head pattern with correctly sized copper wire around the cylinders.

EDIT - The tat wont work comment is to running no gasket haha.

Not to Jase :D

It won't work.

Get in touch with Shuk Enginering They can make you one.

Just looked at your topic.

Did you clean the block and head surfaces spotlessly clean before you put it together?

Were the head bolts buffed clean and lightly oiled?

Did you get the head checked for straightness and cracks?

Could you have pinched the o ring seal on the distributor of the rocker cover gasket causing the oil leak when you assembled it?

Old vs. new gasket. shape is a little different in places but should be ok I think..

img6445medium.jpg

it's the left hand side in the photo, the new one's shape cuts in too sharp.. leaves a mm or two of oil gallery exposed.

Another option is to plug/weld up the oil gallery and redrill to suit the new shape..

hmmm, had an old xl100 motorbike that had no headgasket, however we did substitute locktite as a head gasket. worked fine, ran for years. good compression and everything. althought being a car i do suppose you have other things to worry about as well, water galleries etc. oh well... food for thought :-)