Poo-Man's 1981 Mitsubishi Sigma Turbo

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, what does 'crashy' feel like?

When your driving and you hit a bump the suspension doesnt absorb the bump because the suspension doesnt want to move up and down with the shock so the impact is felt by the passengers giving a crashy harsh ride. With nothalane bushs in the front of the arm you are increasing the suspensions resistance to move. Suspension should move up and down freely letting the shock and spring do all the work, hence one of the pro's of race cars having rose joints.

Pull the strut out and move the hub up and down like it would driving along the road. It should go up and down freely.

Grease the shit out of every surface of a urethane bush.

Like actually slather it in grease so you cannot see ANY of the red anymore.

Otherwise you will go mental with the squeaks.

The previous owner of my AW11 neglected to grease the front bushes when he replaced them all, and the thing creaks and squeaks and groans like mad over every bump. I've gotten used to it, though everyone who's ever borrowed the car has mentioned that it alarms them slightly.

When your driving and you hit a bump the suspension doesnt absorb the bump because the suspension doesnt want to move up and down with the shock so the impact is felt by the passengers giving a crashy harsh ride. With nothalane bushs in the front of the arm you are increasing the suspensions resistance to move. Suspension should move up and down freely letting the shock and spring do all the work, hence one of the pro's of race cars having rose joints.

Pull the strut out and move the hub up and down like it would driving along the road. It should go up and down freely.

this inst strictly true.

"nolithane" and almost all other urethane after market bushes move more freely than OEM stuff. OEM bushes generally are cast around both the inner and the outer sleeve. the bush has to deform to rotate. urethane bushes don't. for a castor arm its much of a muchness.

and rose joints are used in racing because they don't give axially suspension movements are more precise because there is no give longitudinally. you have more chance of "knowing" what your suspension is doing in a race car (in theory).

sheepers.

^ that guy knows some stuff.

Yeah, once the LCA with new bush was greased and installed, I tested it thru its range of motion by hand. Naturally it was tight with new bushes. As it should be.

It drives mint!

I'm just going from my own experience and some mates cars as a lot of old Fiats have a simlar setups in the front. Any bush that requires them to rotate/deform we found we were better off with rubber all the rest nolathane though.

And yeah the other pro of having rose joints ^

But hey if it rides nice and handles good then job done! Nice work!

• 2 weeks later...

Shipping is a killer $174.

I got a Pressie card from work and used that to pay for the lot. So didn't feel that bad spending that much (and the wife doesn't know). Not sure if R1Concepts would ship using cheaper postage.

And Zac I hear that you got Marty's old Starion seats. I work with him. Just need him to start driving the wide body. Lol.

Yah, eBay.

Shipping is a bit over the top with UPS. But by the looks of things, R1Concepts print their own UPS labels. Cos I could see (via the tracking link)they created a label as soon as my money cleared.

Guest ProZac

Uhh, it's a bit confusing with who owns the widebodies up there, But the guy I got it off is Mike? I've talked to a Martin up there also that has a widebody, he hooked me up with some seats for the new red car, what a bloody good bugger :).

Guest k-trips

FYI - try shipping them through You-post. NZposts new freight forwarding deal.

If you find out weight and size of package prior and calculate it all then it may be a shedload cheaper - freight within the US is normally fairly cheap...

K-Krips, yeah. I could of got free shipping within US and got them sent to You-post or another freight forwarder, but thats another link in the chain. and knowing my luck, it would get lost.

Spending free money on the prezzy card was too easy..

Zac, yeah. Marty is a good bugger. He just needs to sort his house and finish his boat and get to work on his starions.

Marty sold me the Nolathane and short shifter kit. Oh, and lent me his 5stud wheels and tyres ages ago.

Nah, don't think he does.

I put the rear subframe mounts in. Then ran outta time to put the rest of the rears in. But they can be done later and the cradle doesn't need to be dropped to do them.

I took a few snaps, I'll update the thread tomorrow, if I get a chance.