vai's House

Vai-Man

Well i thought i should chuck this up seeing as a few people seemed interested and its a good way of me keeping a time line haha.

Started building this house around the end of may decided i needed to do something sensible with my money for a change. Have been building it after work and weekends so progress hasn't been rapid but i have had plenty of help.

Situated in a new subdivision, brought the section about a year ago with the intention of the house being done by now, but useless council me being lazy etc haha

The spec is:

3 Bed 2 bath and unfortunately i could only afford a single garage/workshop :cry:

Concrete Slab Floor

Prenail frames and trusses

colour steel roof, 15' pitch gable end

RAB board acting as building paper

180mm Linea bevel back weatherboards & Hardies soffits

Aluminuim joinery with double glazeing

Heatpump

The rest is pretty standard.

I am hoping to keep the build cost under 140k and am on track so far.

Picture008.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Footings dug and slab boxed

Picture015.jpg

Ring foundation poured

Picture022.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Slab poured Prenail frames and trusses up

Picture031.jpg

RAB board going up

Picture035.jpg

RAB board finished, soffits up, fascia on as well as all roof frameing and purlins

Picture037.jpg

Roof down

Picture038.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Weatherboard on

This past weekend we managed to get the barge flashing's and capping on the roof as well as all the pink bats in Gota wait for it to dry before we can start lineing the rain and weather in wellington has been shit and it means all the framing is still quite wet haha

Any questions fire away more than happy to discuss and/or help :mrgreen:

Thoughts on RAB board as opposed to wrap? Doesn't have a very good reputation up theseways.

Did you do the drawings yourself? Looks good man, sensible style, stands out by not being brick

what is the wind up there like? . no doubt the hills shelter most but you look pretty high up.

also concur with lowlancer . is it a generic design or something modified or drawn top to bottom ?

Not a fan of the RAB board tbh so much slower than paper haha, why does it have a bad rep up there though? The wind zone is 54ms's so its just over very high so had to be specific design as opposed to 3604 and the only way we could do it was using RAB board with a written guarantee from hardies. Brick clad/vineer houses also make me feel like throwing up haha

The drawings were drawn up by my gf's father who is also helping me build it hes a builder aswell so its designed with construction and price in mind, all built to 3604 specs so no need for engineers or architects :mrgreen: , but i am happy with it i will try and get a floor plan up aswell.

Wicked location man, I envy that view. Looks like a nice solid construction too, should last alright.

Yea and if you stand on the roof you can see porirua harbor and pahutinui inlet haha

cool

do you own other property or is this like a first place? I hear banks are super unkeen to mortgage people that are starting with a section and building with their money.

I'd be keen to build straight off the bat rather than buy an existing property.

This will be the first house. It was pretty difficult finding a bank who wanted to lend on the build and to people our age as well (im 21 partners 20), they want fixed price contracts a valuation for each progress payment the only bank that would come to the party was ASB but they have been great to deal with so far.

I would also recommend building if you can you can get a lot more for your money but you have to be careful like going though quotes and contracts and making sure you know what your getting there are a lot of traps out there if you don't do your research. When you do get to that stage i can recommend good builders and have a chat about it all if you want.

the lighting is standard down lights to the kitchen lounge and batten holders elsewhere im running wires in the wall for home theater but i cant afford to put it all in place at this stage. It might end up as a rental later in its life if all goes to plan anyway haha.

Well the house got burgaled last night the bastards took the heat pump off the wall and outdoor unit a compound mitre saw a table saw all the fucking nails bolts glues and foam etc the fuckers even took the bath.

So if anyone sees pepole selling cheap shit any info would be great.

Its a Fujitsu 6.5kw heatpump a dewalt slideing compound mite saw and dewalt table saw.

They also fucked a window frame and the garage door.

So fucked off at the moment :evil:

oh no shit, fuck thats gay man. People are super shit. For what they would have gotten out of it you have to wonder, its almost like they just need to try and pull people that are doing better than them back down, if you know what I mean.

Thoughts on RAB board as opposed to wrap? Doesn't have a very good reputation up theseways.

Did you do the drawings yourself? Looks good man, sensible style, stands out by not being brick

what is the wind up there like? . no doubt the hills shelter most but you look pretty high up.

also concur with lowlancer . is it a generic design or something modified or drawn top to bottom ?

Not a fan of the RAB board tbh so much slower than paper haha, why does it have a bad rep up there though? The wind zone is 54ms's so its just over very high so had to be specific design as opposed to 3604 and the only way we could do it was using RAB board with a written guarantee from hardies. Brick clad/vineer houses also make me feel like throwing up haha

The drawings were drawn up by my gf's father who is also helping me build it hes a builder aswell so its designed with construction and price in mind, all built to 3604 specs so no need for engineers or architects :mrgreen: , but i am happy with it i will try and get a floor plan up aswell.

True, only ever dealt with Very High at the worst. So using RAB board, you do particular nailing to get bracing units or some such?

Ha, 3604 is pretty fucking shit aye. I guess that's the advantage of designers, they know what's common and understand shit and are like an objective POV on building, as they aren't gonna design it to take ages and cost heaps (builder has vested interest). Obviously that isn't the case with yours due to family, just pointing out to others that a builder would generally never do the drawings for such a job

Shitty about the theft. Will keep an eye/ear out regardless of location. Scumbags aye

Guts man.

oh no shit, fuck thats gay man. People are super shit. For what they would have gotten out of it you have to wonder, its almost like they just need to try and pull people that are doing better than them back down, if you know what I mean.

I doubt they'd be that clever. But it seems that way!

that's shit bro, I don't suppose you have insurance yet?

I have building and contractors insurance so it should cover the damage, heat pump and bath etc, wont cover the tools or usable items eg nails so for a couple of saws and consumable items im probably $4000 out of pocket oh and insurance excess aswell.

The funny thing about being a builder is that it is as actually cheaper to just replace tools as they get stolen than it is to insure them, so say you buy a $2000 saw and it gets stolen after a year they will only pay out 1/4 of its value. so you pay $500 in premiums and they give you back $500 for your $2000 saw

True, only ever dealt with Very High at the worst. So using RAB board, you do particular nailing to get bracing units or some such?

Ha, 3604 is pretty fucking shit aye. I guess that's the advantage of designers, they know what's common and understand shit and are like an objective POV on building, as they aren't gonna design it to take ages and cost heaps (builder has vested interest). Obviously that isn't the case with yours due to family, just pointing out to others that a builder would generally never do the drawings for such a job

Shitty about the theft. Will keep an eye/ear out regardless of location. Scumbags aye

Yup you nail it off similar to Braceline GIB i cant rember the exact units it gives though, and yea builders wont do you the drawings haha, 3604 is shit it is very limited i understand the need for designers etc if it was gonna be a home for me to live in forever or a final home i would get it designed, but like every industry there are good and bad ones you just gotta be careful.

Guts man.

I doubt they'd be that clever. But it seems that way!

Yea i have to say it was a pretty professional job imo, but people do shit things to get their next fix or whatever, i reckon it has been scoped out though heatpump had only been in for a few days to dry the frameing and it was the only night the saws where there because i had to do some frameing..... maybe me being paranoid?

On a lighter note i might get my whiteware delivered in big flash trucks and sleep in the bath tub with a chainsaw

chainsaw is for pussies - I would get me one of these - good luck getting within 6 ft of me weilding this face slasher...

bc1_srm2655u.jpg

PS - guts on the theft man - keep an eye out in the trade and exchange/trademe for it - some fucktard will most likely sell all the items under the same user name...

I guess that's the advantage of designers, they know what's common and understand shit and are like an objective POV on building, as they aren't gonna design it to take ages and cost heaps (builder has vested interest).

Designers.... pffft.. Real world, designers dont give a fuck bout cost. They design with no care/knowledge for cost or workability.

True story.

Stink bout theft.... fucking scum...

Gaz