vai's House

Vai-Man

That's pretty unfair Gaz, though I suppose you can only comment on what you know. pretty snarky, all the same.

I can certainly state that if the client is interested in building to a budget (almost all are), we do just that. If we don't, we'd end up with a 700m2 mansion every time, and have no clients, surely? Reality is that any designer worth his charge out rate knows general material and labour costs and incorporates that into the design from the outset. Work with some better designers perhaps.

That's pretty unfair Gaz, though I suppose you can only comment on what you know. pretty snarky, all the same.

Lol, I’m just working with a designer at the mo and he piss's me off royally. Was a generalisation...

I have now worked with three and they have all been similar, not as bad as the current project however. After about the 5th stern telling, the deadline is a month overdue, they have fixed their computer, fed their pets, watered the garden, tied their shoe laces... etc etc... they get the picture that the budget actually means that there is a budget. This could just be commercial, I’ve never dealt with residential.

While we are on the topic... you would not believe the amount of "you scratch my back Ill scratch yours" stz going on in the commercial game. I’m talking 3 week 5 star paid trips to Thailand to "sample" a product... Some of the things specified are ridiculous, not as ridiculous usually as the reason why you cant use the proven, better, locally available product however. :rolleyes: It really is a battle working with some of them.

Edit... Just remembered the worst thing I hate about designers... When you ask them a question re one of their details and they think that you should just design it yourself on site or that you should know.../ they dont want responsibilty. I know this is exactly the opposite of what I was taught when doing my small stint of Arch at uni but it seems to happen all the time. Perhaps its the generation as all three guys I have worked with have been 50+.

Gaz

• 2 months later...

Well i stopped updating this for a while due to lack of internet and i had could work inside so no more excuses for bad weather haha :o

Well since i last updated the house has been finished and we have been living here for about 3 or 4 weeks got the Code of compliance from the council etc so there are only small jobs to do now such as get the garage cleaned out and get the fiat in there.

i have a few pics i will try and do a proper update with all the pics etc soon but since the last of the weatherboards were done it was pretty straightforward it took 3 days to gib a day for the timber work (skirting architraves) a week for the plaster a week for paint and about another week for the fitout eg kitchen/bathroom and electrical. aswell as a few weekends finishing of the roof flashings, cappings and all the little pieces that needed doing.

When i do it again i will pay someone to paint the fucking thing painting sucks.

Picture057.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Kitchen cabinets in and painting etc

Picture067.jpg

Stormwater drains

Picture055.jpg

Picture053.jpg

The finished kitchen

Picture071.jpg

unpainted exterior but with the driveway down.

The exterior has 1 coat on it now i will probably wait till summer untill i put another couple on.

• 3 months later...