NicT's Pansy mx5

NicT

Picked this up for a track hack/joe manji car.

Factory 1800cc

LSD

Manual

Mazdaspeed exhaust

20267_315856165836_654920836_5227022_4052080_n.jpg

20267_315856185836_654920836_5227023_2794872_n.jpg

20267_315856200836_654920836_5227024_1777430_n.jpg

20267_315856210836_654920836_5227025_5885968_n.jpg

BP8 was a shitload more gutless then i was expecting, with a whoping 130hp at the flywheel, and only 2.3hp more then the 1600 im not suprised. Silly car

20267_315856215836_654920836_5227026_1489995_n.jpg

Very tidy body, no rust, mint interior, roll bar, cup holders, alarm, stereo, wof and reg. This is the straightest car i have EVER bought.

20267_315868755836_654920836_5227042_1088366_n.jpg

My daily, RB30E R31 Skyline. I love this thing so bad.

20267_315868765836_654920836_5227043_4975845_n.jpg

Uh-oh

20267_315868785836_654920836_5227044_2262998_n.jpg

not content with just 1 egg beater i got 2.

20267_315868790836_654920836_5227045_2681559_n.jpg

Have sorted enough good parts from the 2 of them to build 1 good motor.

not pictured is sumps, through bolts, dowels and all the other small junk no one cares about.

Also got a copy of DIY-RE, watched it 3 times over (all 4 hours of it) and will have a crack at building it myself to save myself the gillion dollars people pay for rebuilds.

Next on the list is adjusties, nolethanes, wheels, air filter. Drive it, and rape it.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That rotar is from one of the motors i got yesterday and pulled down.

Shat an Apex and threw it around a housing so its stuffed. But it is a shitload of carbon thats for sure. Idea on why?

Only got that motor cause i was giving mint end plates and housings but no little stuff (bolts, sump, front plate, eccentric, through bolts, dowels) and got it for $350 so i just grabbed it.

Tango MX5 13b tallport with dirty carb and 12a bell on factory gearbox. 160 ~ 170hp, 10,000rpm. be good for a giggle.

Inspiration is defiantely http://www.roadsterdrift.com

Iv been waiting for someone to do this.

Will be watching :D

So have i, so i am.

Be a long time til the tang goes in. Adjusties, wheels, nolethane, halfcage will all be done before i even think about putting the rota in. Defiantely get out and do a joe manji day or 2 as well.

running either too rich or wrong premix ration...

Odd they guy recons it was leaning out and then dropped a rotor.

Obvious it dropped a rotor but i dont think it was leaning out.

Person who rebuilt it before also went nuts on the gasket goo and the sump pickup was PACKED full of it. Im surpised it didnt run a bearing.

Some advise if your going to but some power throught the diff is rip it out and bin it.

Bolt up a series 4/5 RX7 LSD diff head, pretty much bolts straight up. Just need to make a mount to support the nose.

Use RX7 axles and fit toyota trueno (supercharged model) CV's onto the ends of the axels and they fit straight into the MX5 hubs.

Fit a series 4/5 RX7 gearbox and make up a gearbox xmember.

Theres heaps of room and everything fits well.

Basically your fitting the whole RX7 drive train in.

MX5 quite a bit lighter than RX7

Full sydways clutch dumps line locks you name it youl be sweet.

Chur

Some advise if your going to but some power throught the diff is rip it out and bin it.

Bolt up a series 4/5 RX7 LSD diff head, pretty much bolts straight up. Just need to make a mount to support the nose.

Use RX7 axles and fit toyota trueno (supercharged model) CV's onto the ends of the axels and they fit straight into the MX5 hubs.

Chur

Ive been waiting for someone with a wealth of knowledge such as this to say something.

I thought the Series 4/5 boxes were to big for the trans tunnels on mx5's and you have to do a bit of chop chop to make it fit.

I just did a epic drive out through maraitai, clevedon, beachlands just now. God i love this car. 120kmh through 65k turns. To fast to look at the speedo down the straights. I feel all nasty now like i just cheated on my gf haha.

running either too rich or wrong premix ration...

Odd they guy recons it was leaning out and then dropped a rotor.

Obvious it dropped a rotor but i dont think it was leaning out.

Person who rebuilt it before also went nuts on the gasket goo and the sump pickup was PACKED full of it. Im surpised it didnt run a bearing.

running too much oil in a premix system will effectively make it run lean as too. it thickens the fuel and also dilutes it somewhat.

Chur

Ive been waiting for someone with a wealth of knowledge such as this to say something.

I thought the Series 4/5 boxes were to big for the trans tunnels on mx5's and you have to do a bit of chop chop to make it fit.

I just did a epic drive out through maraitai, clevedon, beachlands just now. God i love this car. 120kmh through 65k turns. To fast to look at the speedo down the straights. I feel all nasty now like i just cheated on my gf haha.

Ive seen rotary MX5 and watched the process of one being built many moons ago.

I used to own one myself and think there pretty dam kool cars, especially with the price you can pick them up for now days.

I did a 1UZ toyota V8 conversion to mine. Did the diff swap etc.

If you can fit a W58 toyota 5 speed in one then a series 4/5 box will fit sweet.

The geabox tunnels in the MX5's are huge, mainly because its what makes up alot of the strength in them being convertable.

Have posted this pic befor but this was my old car.

webmx5-011.jpg

I was going to piece together my own adjustables from other brands ones and swap the bottom bushes to fit the LCA's.

Was just playing with the rear tonight when my hydrolic jack gave out and dropped the car on the wheel that was off. It compressed a bar that holds together the LCA's in the rear subframe. I am seriously fucked off.

Will take it for a drive soon to see if it has affected handling, but so sooo annoying. Lots of screaming and me throwing a jack around the driveway thats for sure.

Another cool engine for the mx5 is a mazda V6. Seriuosly under estimated engines.

The 2.5 L KL V6 (626 telstar etc) is an all alloy engine thats very compact, very very cheap and goes hard.

Rotarys are great but there downside is the cost of rebuilding one. For the price of a set of apex seals you can buy a whole V6.

An even better engine is the 2.5 L KLZE V6 factory 218 hp based on the 2.5 L KL V6 but found in the MX6

Did a search and found this link on utube.