xsspeed's Corollas: EE80->Beams3s & NZGT Liftback

xsspeed

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea its hard to beat a smallport, but on the street bluetops are awesome fun, shitty TVIS powerband etc. especially when they are fresh. On the otherhand the smaller big ends are a curse if you are thrashing it allot, don't think I have pulled one appart that didnt have some early signs of the bearings giving up. On the other hand you can pull appart high km redtops/smallpots etc and they look like new. I vote bluetop for fun, smallport (maybe 20v) if you were going to sink some actual coin into tuning a 4ag

yeah coin sinkage is not going to happen on this motor (well not tttttttoooooooooooooooo much), hence why I was leaning towards bluetop.

I never appreciated the tvis was a separate section (makes sense now that I think about it/never thought about it before)

Beams 3s IS going into the blue one, I made progress on that yesterday (well I am claiming moving the Beams 3s closer to the engine bay as progress)

Waiting for Cam to jump in and talk up the 40mm bottom end despite his lunching a bearing and changing to 42mm.

• 1 month later...

So plans are in motion, going to whack on a new head and gasket to get the brown GT back driving as I miss doorting around.

Picked up a smallport for ~$150 just need to acquire some bits and pieces, starter/dissy/flywheel...

Does anyone know what is the best way to get the smallport running without too much fucking around? I am sure the one I had was running bluetop loom and ecu - have sent a message to thhe guy that put it in - but from what I am reading on the net, the smallport and bigport dissy's are different (3 vs 4 wire), and using a bigport dissy would mean using bigport loom - which I think means that I need to use the bigport coil/ignitor/injectors, but these are a lower cc, and would need to use the bogport fuel rail I suspect.

So if I do all this crossover between bigport and smallport electrics, would I be hamstringing myself performance wise, in which case I should track down a smallport ecu and loom as well?

Nah, it's a cunt of a job and they run well on a bluetop ECU.

As per suggestions in the PM, there are easy ways to do it and it's worth converting to the later style coil and ignitor (easy swap). If you convert to Smallport ECU & Loom you'll need to swap the dizzy rotor and cap to keep it looking original.

The smallport and bigport fuel rails have different spacings, but you'll probably need to swap the fuel pressure regs over.

Yea it'll work on the bluetop ECU but they are pretty archaic compared to the smallport ECU, one I had had anything to do with certainly ran worse than the smallport ecu, not that bad I guess. If you dont have any of the smallport shit go for it but its not a epic job otherwise, you want to keep the engine bay looking original?

Yeah plan is visually the same so will get that ttt adapter and use the tvis intake plenum without the tvis. Not hugely fussed if the dissy would be the only tell tale...but want the spark valley cover to be as per bluetop

Yeah i probably didnt write it its just what i've been chatting to markku about as his old man might be doing the same.

Thinking of putting c56 box in...any thoughts on the c56 ratios with a smallport? All info ive found suggests the 3rd(or is it 4th) ratio is way better but this may apply more to silvertop/blacktop applications