xsspeed's Corollas: EE80->Beams3s & NZGT Liftback

xsspeed

Well I rolled the guards this morning, upon inspection it looked like the rear tyres were also rubbing on the top edge of the bumper where it wraps around to the wheel arch (it had been rounded off smooth the same profile as the tyre) - this was confirmed through scientific means of sticking some electrical tape to the suspect place and going for a blat - tape rubbed off. MYTHBUSTED/CONFIRMED

seems a huge issue with corollas, mates ae92 hatch has the exact same problem, not exactly slammed either

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the bumper triangle (technical term) doesn't quite follow the same profile as the guards and has a block that sticks out - might just pull the bumper off and hack off/file back the inside edge - should sort it

• 2 weeks later...

2012-04-06113526.jpg

Any antiroll bar guru's - is how I have setup this whiteline bar the "lightest" or "stiffest" of the three positions?

Initially I assumed this would be the stiffest (working on a spring principle in terms of length and bending moments) but it appears the other positions effectively "pre-load" the suspension.

As you can see having the upright connected to the far left hole would mean in order for the upright to remain straight the antiroll bar would have to be partially twisted (and so preloaded?)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh hey there little guy

DSC08836.jpg

For those that care this is what caused my car to do some diarrhea in the pits at the trackday.

I guess after three sessions then sitting a bit, its quite possible the plastic got stressed and cracked - the way the spade terminal is fitted on this would only have put more stress on the plastic I think - as if it had been bent at all it could have cracked the plastic itself.

Stolen pics:

klHT2dn9UNs

Photo by ThousandDollarSuperCar

6936835026_3d36e3732d_b.jpg

6936831960_b70c6f06b4_b.jpg

Photo's by Simon

DSC06432.jpg

Photo by GaR (I think I have that right - Ed's mate Gareth)

Ben's tribute video:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_ ... directlink

Also Si was hit with clean kill shot to the back of the head from the sniper, after receiving the 'package' from me

6946658766_a7cb97bec9_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Bah BHG, not really surprised #4 has definately gone, what was a weep is now a trickle, looks like I'll park this up for a bit and rebuild a bluetop (will be having a yarn with Mr CDL about acquiring his possibly)

lol, nah I've got some pistons and bearings coming, got a bluetop bottom end here that shat its head, so I may pull that a part and start, keen to get a head that hasn't blown a gasket before 60% of the time, everytime.

I quite like the bluetop for doorting around, so I think my mind is made up/had been discussing with Cam about building a high comp 4age but I cbf when I should be pouring funds into the other car's motor and just work on keeping this one tidy

Smallport bottom end is a lot better than bluetop - bigger bearings, higher compression, stronger rods etc. A bluetop head will fit if you decide to go that way - but smallport is a superior head.

We're thinking about getting a smallport > bigport adapter that replaces the TVIS plate for the old mans car to keep everything looking original - could be an option?

Yeah better but heavier, been having this discussion with Cam.

Def interested in what the adapter would entail though?

I think for now I will persevere with building a bluetop, purely for interests/purists sake. It _shouldn't_ be too expensive an exercise anyway.

Will keep my smallport gear and acquire stuff in due course to hoard though, interested to hear/see more about your old man's plans

Is it that big a diff in stock form? Maybe im just thinking that because of the 2nd gen bigports.

The only smallport i drove was in a fuxked car so couldnt tell. I totally understand from a fettling pov that the smallport us a better starting point.

Is your old man planning on running the tvia intake sans tvis with the runners/flange modified to suit the smallport ports?

It's a big enough difference to warrant doing it. I had a "good" smallport that had done 180,000km's and it was better than any bluetop or silvertop I've driven since. It made sweet doorts too:

XkCoBra6e5w

Dad wants to use something like this adapter plate so his 86 keeps with the factory look: https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/16v4 ... rt-adapter