Big A's Celica

Raizer

No need to be sorry I was just saying to my dad how people read what they want to read on the forums and dont read what has been put at the start of the post.

You are not the first person to ask a question without fully reading the post.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

love the car, love the ideas, good to see someone going outside the box.

i've had a couple of early celicas myself, RA28 and a TA23, looked into bagging the 23 because the floor was pretty rough but realised that the project was way too big for me at that point so moved it on. i've learnt a fair bit about airbags and chassis stuff since though and have a couple of ideas and questions.

you mention using different bottom arms and struts, is this to go 5 stud in the front???

are you planning on using airstruts in the front or bags???

i notice you left the top of the strut towers in the front but the new wheels seem to leave no room for struts in them, what are your plans here???

i'm not sure about width but have you considered using a hilux front clip???? 5 stud setup, easy to put bigger nissan disc setups on, easier to narrow, steering is a hell of a lot easier to get around a uz than celica stuff (as proven in countless hilux conversions) plus they've been bagged countless times and its fairly easy and can look pretty damn cool, especially with custom upper arms. you could also get rid of those strut tower tops and go for a nice smooth wheel tub, clean up the engine bay quite well. did i say easy enough times????

watching with interest..............

cheers

Matt

I am using gx81 front struts and they will have strut bags attached at a later date when I can afford the air bag set up, so yes it is five stud pattern as depicted in the photos of the five stud wheels.

I have left the strut towers as they are but have changed the inner wheel arch to accomodate the wheels, dont worry I have already checked this out and done a mock up of the front to get this sorted.

I am not chnaging the front end as there is no need to, plus if I was going to do that I would make up a whole chassis instead of the firewall ball one that I am in the process of building.

Trust me once you see what I am going to do with the engine bay you will be blown away as it will way different to anything that is currently in NZ and will hopefully bring in some awards when I have the old girl all finished.

Just to let you know I have researched the hell out of what I am doing and all of the modifications and what I am doing is the easier way of doing it from what I had originally intended to do. I dont really want to take short cuts then I want get the quality that I am after, hence me doing a majority of the work and not paying someone else to do it for me.

Thanks for some of your suggestions and ideas it is always good to see people interested in what I am doing and it is always hard to interperet someone elses ideas, you just need to go over some of the comments made in this post and you can see everyone has a different idea of doing things.

Cheers.

Big A

Looking good, thought the Jack handle (in the last pic) was a side exit exhaust for a second haha

Cracked me up when I read that, it would have been a fairly long side exhaust then. The side exhaust will exit just before the rear wheel arch just in case you couldnt see the black felt pen I put on the side.

Still waiting on my damn diff to get sortened, bloody engineer said today and now it will be ready thursday, bloody better be a good job if it is taking this long. GRRRR!!!

more welding done today and got one of my rear rails tacked up will get some steel for the rest of the chassis tomorrow as I only have one more day to work on the ol girl I will have to pull finger and get some more of the major stuff done.

Last day of working on the car so there may not be anymore posts for a little while, but I am happy with the progress I made in the two weeks I had to work on the car.

Hopefully I wont leave it for another 6 months or so like last time, I iwll have to organise some more time off in a few months to go down and work on the car some more. A few things held me back which was out of my control so hopefully next time things will go a little smoother.

I had made sure I made a list of stuff I wanted to get done before I went done which was 16 things but I only got 6 of them done.

I knew I was going to be strecthing myself a bit but thought might as try and get as much as possible done in the time I had.

My dad was pretty impressed with what I did get done so must have been going hard out. LOL

you had better come round and have a good hard look at how much room i dont have for zorst and steering before you weld those new inner guards of yours in....

i reckon its going to be tighter than a nuns nasty, worse than mine, and i have to take the engine out to change a steering shaft.

• 11 months later...

You still looking into LED tail lights? If so, flick me an email. Ned@ProTechNZ.com.

I'm an Electronic engineer and would love to play around with LED tail lights etc. Have a few cool ideas just no car and money to put it in. Will donate my time and shit for free, have nothing better to do at the moment. Back at uni in 1.5 months so be in quick or you're waiting until july when i finish uni.