Big A's Celica

Raizer

Love this, love that you've made a model and drawn some mean pictures etc... had similar thoughts before but this is not only a whole different level, your actually doin it!

As for LED's, I'd be experimenting with the huge ones, like about 10mm diameter, then getting some plates laser cut out of 3mm polished st-st (after measuring 10 times and making card board then tin mock ups etc) and have them rolled to fit into the stock housings. The holes for the LED's would be laser cut I meant... LED's slotted in and siliconed from behind... depends on existying housings as to whether this would work, but just an idea to mash up with those you've probably already got bouncing around your noodle!

Top ride tho, gana be friggin bangin! Can totaly see the mini Stang look in your illustration! What kinda turnaround r u thinkin? Long term or are you krankin on the project?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo, the massive tucked wheels look yuck.

I would say it will look nicer with smaller wheels that are more negative offset that sit flush with the guards, which will then make the small guard flares purposfull instead of flaring over nothing.

Well there is no accounting for everyones taste, but trust me when you see the finalised product you will want to retract your lame statement. I'm from a hotrodding back ground and the big wheels under the guards is the bomb but I still like modern stuff as well. As most people on this forum who have commented on the drawing actually got the concept that I am going for, its a pity you havent.

You'd be best to get an idea of what's legal in terms of lumens/watts for your tail-lights before caning your wallet anymore on LEDs. I'd think you'd need to look at how the outer lens will dim them and how many you'd need.

Won't be hard, get bright 10mm items, run in series to minimise on amount of resistors (may not need any as most LEDs work on 2-4V) or parallel if they do actually drag too much V and then calulate resistor/s based on that.

Tricky part is getting the brightness required, in the right colour, and mounting them so they don't look like a bodge job

I already made up a strip using 30000 candlestine LED's and hooking it up to a 9V battery with no resistor for a quick flash in behind the lense to see how bright they looked and found them to do the trick. As far as me doing them myself I might re think that idea as you said dont want to do a bodge job.

Love this, love that you've made a model and drawn some mean pictures etc... had similar thoughts before but this is not only a whole different level, your actually doin it!

As for LED's, I'd be experimenting with the huge ones, like about 10mm diameter, then getting some plates laser cut out of 3mm polished st-st (after measuring 10 times and making card board then tin mock ups etc) and have them rolled to fit into the stock housings. The holes for the LED's would be laser cut I meant... LED's slotted in and siliconed from behind... depends on existying housings as to whether this would work, but just an idea to mash up with those you've probably already got bouncing around your noodle!

Top ride tho, gana be friggin bangin! Can totaly see the mini Stang look in your illustration! What kinda turnaround r u thinkin? Long term or are you krankin on the project?

Thanks for the comments it is nice to hear good praise for a project like this. As far as time goes I would like to be done within a couple of years as I dont have the car here in Auckland with me I have to go all the way down to Wanganui to my dads workshop to work on the ol girl.

Time and money is the biggest thing at the moment, but I have managed to get a lot done since the start of this year.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thw wheels are 20 x 10 inch on the rear and I have got 18 x 8.5 on the front, the tires are nicely lined up to the side wall of the rim. Cant remember the measurements but they were the widest I could go for this brand of tire. You wont see this brand or tire in NZ, special import out of the states.

As for the model got a kit and heavily modified it to fit the scale 20inch wheels and I am in the process of making another one as I have changed the front design in one of my pics so I want to see what it looks like before I get into the metal work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have had so many people asking me about my car lately and I am waiting till the last two weeks of Jan 2010 to fly down to Wangavegas to do some more work on the old girl.

I will post heaps of pics when I come back as I intend to get a shit load of work done while I am there. Possible looking at doing some 10 hour+ days to get a lot of the stuff done that I want to gewt done but it will be well worth it.

Geez I am like an excited kid waiting for Xmas...how sad is that.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking really good. Its good seeing people making there car fit the wheels rather than buying wheels to fit the car. If i was you i would be cutting all the floor out of the back of your car. Start with a blank hole ready for the near rear end. What set up are you going for ? 4 link with coil overs ? What size steel are you using for the chassis ? will you just fabricate up a half chassis and merge it into the front chassis rails ?

fully sik mate

this would sell for mega in oz,

how much steerin lock you gonna get?

everything looks super tight for clearance...

realistically i wouldn't have a clue how much you use on your average thirty km'h

hairpin corner but would be interesting to find out,

as i seem to remember towing a gemini wagon with no springs to the wreckers on bickies that guard rubbed

just beyond the wheel being straight

You could always move the front wheels in slightly, I did this on my R100 as i wanted it as low as possible (road hight set up at 50mm) but needed full turning on front. Only had to move the struts in 30mm and it as sweet.

Looking really good. Its good seeing people making there car fit the wheels rather than buying wheels to fit the car. If i was you i would be cutting all the floor out of the back of your car. Start with a blank hole ready for the near rear end. What set up are you going for ? 4 link with coil overs ? What size steel are you using for the chassis ? will you just fabricate up a half chassis and merge it into the front chassis rails ?

I am actually cutting all of the floor our due to the fact that it has to much cancer to fix.

I will be making up a rectangular tube chassis from the firewall back, so there is quite a bit of work involved. You obviously didnt read what mods I will be doing to the car as I will be putting in air suspension to get the body dropped nearly to the ground.

fully sik mate

this would sell for mega in oz,

how much steerin lock you gonna get?

everything looks super tight for clearance...

realistically i wouldn't have a clue how much you use on your average thirty km'h

hairpin corner but would be interesting to find out,

as i seem to remember towing a gemini wagon with no springs to the wreckers on bickies that guard rubbed

just beyond the wheel being straight

See above in regards to your comments on steering, clearance wise I am gonna have to modify the guards as the 20x10inch wheels only just squeeze under and the 18's will rub if I dont change the pitch in the arch.

Maybe when I have finished I could go over to Auz and take it on the show circuit as I intend on doing that here when the car is complete.

I am actually cutting all of the floor our due to the fact that it has to much cancer to fix.

I will be making up a rectangular tube chassis from the firewall back, so there is quite a bit of work involved. You obviously didnt read what mods I will be doing to the car as I will be putting in air suspension to get the body dropped nearly to the ground.

Sorry i didnt read the bit about air suspension. I really like what your doing, keen to follow your build on here. Keep up the good work.