Dave's not so 4WD spec Miata from the future

karmagedon

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, Im actually curious, how does one get a wider stance on a car?? Is it just by the offset of the wheels? Im talking about 70mm wider each side, so going 3" wider mags isn't really practical. However, I guess if you have 6" mags with a 0pt offset then that will give you your 3" extra width?

Are there any other methods of doing this? 70mm spacers aren't exactly a good idea.

Regards

Dave.

Whats the offset on your 17's? If they are 40p offset and you went to the same width wheel with a 0 offset then the wheel would sit 40mm further out. If you want 70mm each side you'll have to run 8's with -25 or something silly and it'll look like a dirt track car.

I think you should think more seriously about what you like in car modification before doing it. It's all good and well to play around, but when you accept that you realise it looks stupid (and you must have known before you put that frankly repugnant combo of wheels and exhaust and ride height together), what's the point?

Make a file of similar proportioned cars to your MX5 that have been modified in ways you like, then combine the best bits.

And for gods sake, don't ask people. There's your mistake, how can you not know what you like? Unsure how you can stand that. Maybe you're young. I suppose we were all like that once

I think you should think more seriously about what you like in car modification before doing it. It's all good and well to play around, but when you accept that you realise it looks stupid (and you must have known before you put that frankly repugnant combo of wheels and exhaust and ride height together), what's the point?

Make a file of similar proportioned cars to your MX5 that have been modified in ways you like, then combine the best bits.

And for gods sake, don't ask people. There's your mistake, how can you not know what you like? Unsure how you can stand that. Maybe you're young. I suppose we were all like that once

You make a good point Elliot, in all honesty I haven't though about creating that assembly of simmilar cars to an Mx-5, just stuck to MX-5 files.

Not young, just new to the whole modification thing.

I don't recall asking people too much about style, however, I've come to trust people's opinions on those subjects aswell. So no harm in asking if you make up your own mind in the end with knowledge gained.

Granted, at least you've taken the harrassment well.

I just find it difficult to understand not knowing what you like and want I guess. It's a car, there's two fifths of five eighths that you can really do to it. Small wheels, big wheels, irrelevant, they're still wheels.

Just look at a couple different styles, choose the one that appeals and do it, and apply your own sensible twists to get something you will definately like. It's obvious you're not stupid, you'll hopefully come up with something that you've created because YOU like it. Pleasing others is totally irrelevant, particulary something as silly and ridiculous (comparatively) as a car, let alone any other aspect of life

Granted, at least you've taken the harrassment well.

I just find it difficult to understand not knowing what you like and want I guess. It's a car, there's two fifths of five eighths that you can really do to it. Small wheels, big wheels, irrelevant, they're still wheels.

Just look at a couple different styles, choose the one that appeals and do it, and apply your own sensible twists to get something you will definately like. It's obvious you're not stupid, you'll hopefully come up with something that you've created because YOU like it. Pleasing others is totally irrelevant, particulary something as silly and ridiculous (comparatively) as a car, let alone any other aspect of life

I guess sometimes we do get caught up trying to fit into other people's wants, and just need to take a step back and re-evaluate what we doing.

Holy shit that was philosophical, and true

^ I lold

Also, proportions. Its all about PROPORTIONS.

First off, everything ever made looks good slammed, or atleast very low; and with wide wheels. The dia of the wheels is taken from the size of the car and the gaurds. keep wheels in proportion with the car size and the gaurd size (there are huge exemptions from this however) and you're on a winner.

Also, period correct is important to most people into cars and a lot of the time I rekon that's such a good idea it hurts. Volk flash chrome/g zeros (dont look good on anything) wont look good on anything pre mid 90s etc

bla bla bla do whatever you like its your car bla bla (listen to Elliot) but my god just keep it in proportion

I'm only writing this because I'm bored and there needs to be more good NAs in NZ, fact.

^^all of what you have said is actually a thing called "an opinion" you have tried to present it as a "fact" but at the end of the day it like your arsehole, everybody's got one.

have an opinion, express it (thats what the internet is for, no one listens to us in real life) but dont try to make out that your view is worth more than anybody else's. because its not.

i think there is many a good example of old car/new wheel combos that look tops, but thats just my opinion.

sheepers.

Whilst sheepers, as is typical of him, was a bit of a cunt about it, he's right.

Objectivity is key, and it's nigh on impossible, because logic and reason are what creates an objective stance, and there isn't much logical about modifying a car.

Reality is, "know what you like, and do it". I don't see how this varies from any other aspect in life.

Also, there needs to be more tastefully modded NA's in this country.