3.8 V6 into Hilux

johnnyfive

So I've been pondering over what I could possibly put into the Hilux sometime, and thought if I could pick one up cheap enough, the old 3.8 Commodore V6 wouldn't be a 100% bad choice, and has been done lots already.

And it just so happens a Manual VN has come up at the local auctions, Not expected to go for much more than $500 (I suspect its got fucked heads but it doesn't hurt to get the ball rolling)

Now I keep being told by old cunts that they just 'bolt' in, and I find it very hard to believe.

The Hilux in question is a 4wd RN46

What could I expect to need to do? Other than the obvious computer wiring & fuel system.

does some one make a bell housing for these to suit the box in your lux? (guess its a G series box?) Dont really want to loose the 4wd. I hate the buick v6 with a passion poorly designed engine, but they are dirt cheap and easy to wire up

I have no idea what box is in it, Chassis tag does not specify?

A 4spd 4wd one...

But yes, those are things I need to try and work out, would the mounts be in the right places, would bellhousing bolt up, Clutch?

The rest I can probably work out

And yeah.... I dislike them a bit too, but its almost within my pricerange, which = fuck all.

why not a 3.0 or 3.4 V6 from a Surf? They would definitely bolt in and if you get the matching gearbox that would most likely bolt in too. Sure they'ld be a bit more expensive but at the end of the day you'ld end up with a much better engine package. It's not that I don't like fabrication, but having to fabricate stuff to make a POS holden motor fit is just stupid in my books.

Hmm yea its hard to know what to chuck in there with no money, forget the initial purchase price of the engine. The main concern is the cost to get a bellhousing to keep it 4wd. Have a look and see if the box is alloy or steel to determine what vintage it is. save some coin and get something decent dude 1kz would rule but they're worth abit still, should seriously look at 1/2jz n/a engines way easier to fit than a buick (or a uz etc) can be had for $5-600 if you look around. And there's options to make them work auto or manual in 4wd (the expensive bit depending what box you have)

Edit for phill: those v6 surf engines also suck jz's just as easy to get in there and bolt up to a 4wd box

Without going down the same old route of "fuck that throw a UZ in it" I would just suggest that something that bolts in might be the easiest and most cost effective way of doing this.

I don't think there is a Toyota V6 that would bolt in but a G or M series engine probably would and I don't think a JZ would be far off, which wouldn't be too expensive for an NA version.

Just mentioning it as it might be a more cost effective option and alot easier than "bolting in" a GM motor, although it won't have any many pushrods but you could probably just throw some in the boot or something.

edit: beaten but yeah kelvin from cartune has one of those v6 and it drinks the juice and made about 60kw on the dyno :lol:

Yea well my thought process for conversions in a hilux that easily keep it 4wd goes like this, this is assuming it has a G series alloy box and making engine mounts is trivial in a lux.

M series - 5mge (maybe 6mge if you were lucky) they are piss easy to find could probably get one for near free they go real well and dont blow head gaskets as bad as other M's. Hard bit is finding the flywheel and bellhousing they're rare people pay up to $400 for bell etc to make it work. Easy conversion with a bell housing

G series - Average in n/a form would want to get a supercharged one I personally wouldnt be so keen on a turbo one in a 4*4. Bellhousing is easy to find and cheap but this is offset by a larger engine cost than the M and actually finding a good one. G series actually bolts onto hilux mounts from a Y series engine

JZ series - Just as easy to wire up etc as all the above, cheap for a n/a one. Fly and bellhousing cost ~$1000 new and will be the biggest cost of the conversion. Has all of the power+ of the above engines with more modern reliable designs used plus better economy and all around drivabilty. Turbo versions would be pretty over the top

Toyota v6's - unless there the modern expensive ones the camry and surf v6's suck

UZ - would be awesome but more work etc than the straight 6 options

I'd even roll a 5L if i could find a cheap one they punt along sweet,

Interesting.

I would also be happy with a non-shit R series.

22R's I've heard are good but all are hard to find?

Opinions on

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Toyota/Engines/auction-220507092.htm

Lux currently has 21R-U also, It eats dick and the emissions carb makes me violent.

waimaks do you know jase riini? he's logans mate. he just bought a hilux with a n/a 2jz init. go for a ride in that, it goes fucken well bro. would be good having a setup to copy/improve upon as well

And nah don't know him. Was aiming more towards something not needing cert just yet preferably, just to get it running in a usable state

Had considered L series also, Heard good things about whatever the 2.8 is?

you don't see many IL6's doing serious off road because they turn into a lead nosed arrow ...

as for the 6 been a easier install ... no

still have to make mounts then try to fit a engine the length of the car in the engine bay they don't "bolt in"

the commy v6 is a dam good conversion fits in easy as and you can buy mounts and bell adaptors off the shelf

if i was to do my truck again .. would i do a uz .. .. yes ... problem been with 35's and a foot full of loud pedal ive killed a rear ring and pinion and removed significant teeth from the front one .. so really its probably a little to much for the hilux diffs ... off road

if you want a genuine good easy engine for it ... get a 3rz

it is bolt in and they make good power .. not face ripping .. but enough to have fun with

my 2 cents

BTW his truck didnt come with a g series box ...

also .. g series box dont like uz's or jz's or anything with power mines now pritty much dead .. so im going auto

Cheers for the imput guys. At the moment though I can't afford to do barely anything, so I think I might just try and pick up that 21R from tardme for simplicity and cheapness.

No reason why 21R won't bolt into place of 21R-U?

Also, seller is willing to drop motor in hamilton, anyone keen to look after it till I can get up?

Also, box appears to have steel section, if that helps.

UNI_0998.jpg

UNI_0997.jpg

UNI_0999.jpg