• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

thought I would update this fred also.

A little while ago I bought an Evo III exhaust manifold (cheers to Shazza for picking it up!), it features larger internal dimensions of the runners and they are shaped a little differently to better point the exhaust gasses into the turbo inlet too. While pulling out the existing turbo to replace the manifold, I had noticed this on the compressor wheel:

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

Notice that two of the blades are quite bent - that's not meant to be like that!

At the time I just put the existing turbo back onto the new Evo III manifold as I didn't want to buy another 2nd hand unknown condition turbo to put back on, and was still undecided what to do in regards to the turbo department. Just last week I purchased a genuine Mitsubishi turbo rebuild kit along with an Evo III compressor housing ported to match a 20G compressor wheel which was also supplied. For comparison the VR-4 Evolution has a 'big' 16G compressor wheel like the standard Evo 1 & 2.

IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3834.jpg

I'll be pulling the turbo out again probably this weekend, strip it down and assemble with new parts, then send away to All tech in Auckland to have the exhaust wheel back-cut for increased flow to match the 20G compressor wheel, and the whole assembly balanced. All this for the cost of a 2nd hand turbo off trademe, and now I will have a factory looking performance upgrade hopefully without the expense of drivability.

that nut (assume you mean the bottom one) goes at the end of the shaft, one is right hand threaded and the other is left hand threaded. I didn't buy all the parts individually, it all came in one whole kit for approx $125, which is about $100 cheaper than getting the same kit here in NZ.

Seriously: Take a look at GT Falcons and how old the guys are who are paying $80-$300k for them. They are old (and I should know) but they lusted after A GT Falcon coupe when they were teenagers and when they were in their fifties spent $80k on a four door GT because they always wanted one. Those guys are not in the market much longer.

Do the sums on the modern version of a GT Falcon and an original Mitsi Evo has to be in the mix somewhere. Certainly not at the top of the pile but the car has credentials and wonderful offspring.

ive often thought about whats going to be a desirable vehicle in the future....cars often have a "cool"period when they are new/current, get to that 15 year old mark where nobody gives a shit about them, they get thrashed/cut up/crashed/scrapped, numbers go down, people start getting nostalgic about them, value goes up again

nice car fuel, cool to see an original one

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

a little bit of progress..

a few weeks ago I pulled the turbo and manifold etc and sent the turbine/shaft to be back-cut and balanced with the new compressor wheel.

IMG_4131.jpg

with thanks to Jarred, the shaft arrived back from All Tech and was assembled with the core and the all new bits.

IMG_4125.jpg

comparison of installed 20G wheel compared to the old damaged 'Big' 16G wheel. Hopefully with the 7deg back-cut it will maintain strong boost through the mid-range and top-end without much of a change to turbo lag.

IMG_4121.jpg

I clear coated the compressor housing to stop oil/grease sticking to it.

IMG_4126.jpg

and all back together, just need to finish fitting it to the car..

IMG_4127.jpg

Beautiful car, love that you are keeping it all OEM or OEM+, its choice with the leather, have never seen one with that option.

Good to see there are some good ones left, most have been munted with lowing springs, cut out bumpers, repco intercoolers and chrome wheels. These were a very fast car back in the day.

thanks mate! yeah I figure it has to be one of very few which is more or less un-molested or not poorly modified. Been tossing up selling it before heading overseas in a 6 weeks but unless I get a silly offer (like 5 figures) I think I'll keep it, it's just not worth it to me to sell for $7000-8000 which is probably it's realistic 'market value'.

in other news.. FFFFFUUUU broken manifold stud!

IMG_4133.jpg

it came out after buying some decent drill bits to drill deep enough into the stud, and an easy out took care of the rest.

Car is now back together and running primo! The 20G turbo really pulls much harder through the mid range and top end, and perhaps has only a little bit more lag than the 16G, but that may help with open road fuel economy which would be a bonus.

Took it in for a WOF and it failed on leaking power steering rack and leaking transfer case oil onto the exhaust - a quick engine bay clean up took care of them but will attend to them properly in due time, have been meaning to rebuild the driveshaft, transfer case and rear diff to eliminate a bit of driveline whine/shudder it has.

Some pics just 'cause

IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

all you can see of the turbo - perhaps the new compressor housing gives a hint that it's been upgraded...

IMG_4154.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

right, thought I would tackle one of the WOF fail items - the leaking transfer case. The issue actually lies with the original driveshaft yolk, there is a frost plug at the end on the inside which over time leaks transfer case oil out and drips down onto the transfer case output shaft shield making it look like it's the tail shaft seal itself. Now Mitsubishi in both Japan and the US issued a recall for this fault, and it seems the recall wasn't carried out on my car before it left Japan, and naturally Mitsubishi NZ don't want to know about it.

Because I know how much ryanfels likes genuine Mitsubishi parts, I purchased the recall kit from the US for about 1/4 the price it was going to cost to buy it here, though the freight cost was actually more than the cost of the part itself.

IMG_4350.jpg

Hopefully I'll get this sorted over the next few days/weeks and not have to worry about topping up my transfer case oil every few months.