Dare i say it...Diesel Timing!

WildPlumDx

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as for the boost gauge can i tap into that egr plate ? the gold looking plate in the center of the intake manifold? yup i have everything i need pyrometer boost gauge and controller, one guy had his pajero up to 25psi been running for 6 months, i dont wanna run that high anyway 15psi would be nice, plus once i blow it up i'd like to put a 3.8 commy engine in it :D

boost gauge would be the easiet way man ,if its running at the manufactor spec boost then there nothing wrong .

usually know when a wastegate fails cos all of a sudden you have more power and the turbo will start screaming its nuts off

If you want to get technical about the waste gate you need a gauge, regulator and compressed air to move the wastegate arm.

The pressure applied at the given measurement of wastegate by the manufactor is the spec they work off.

But as MONGOL says if the guage you are hooking up reads right thats as close as you need to know.

We are all here to help man, and the best thing is we are all from different walks of life so we all learn from each other :wink:

Corey

a cheeky way to get a little more boost is to put a couple of 2mm washers under the mounts of the wastegate solenoid making the gate open less ,

worked really well in my 2.4 surf as the waste gate was originally coked up so we spaced it up to get it to seal properly and found it gave it a shitload more grunt,

found the info on an aus 4wd forum

• 5 years later...

Whoa thread from the dead.

Get a boost tap and tee it in line with the tubing that goes to the wastgate actuator (actuator is the metal cylinder thing). Then you can adjust how much air you bleed off (and therefore how much the actuator sees) so that the actuator opens the wastegate at a higher boost pressure. 

Bleed valves are OK when you are not driving a huge diaphragm area - all good for an internal gate (generally speaking) but not so great for an external gate which requires more air.

I run a bleed tap at 18psi on my triton ute for a bit extra boosts, it doesn't seem to overboost at all. pre-loading of wastegate can be a bit hit an miss, i would not suggest using this method if your actuator has a reasonably short stroke, taking 2 or 3 mm out of an actuator which only has 9-10mm stroke is not ideal and may lead to boost spiking. 

With the price of a boost tap these days i personally wouldn't run any more preload than just enough to firmly seat the flapper.

wat

The pump has no way to restrict boost, turbo ain't gonna give any fucks how much fuel is going in there. Lots of boost is fine for diesel, the more the merrier when it comes to mashing air in there. Adjust boost to where it's getting out of the maps efficiency, whack an EGT gauge on there and adjust fuel to suit.