Dare i say it...Diesel Timing!

WildPlumDx

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its as easy as with the gauge.

Assuming you have already put the pump in and cambelt on incorrect timing.

01/ Remove the plug from the centre of where the fuel lines come out of the pump.

02/ Set engine to #1 TDC and fit timing gauge to where plug was removed.

03/ Set DTI on gauge to approximatly 1/3 inwards in clamp and lock clamp up.

04/ wind engine anti-clock wise till DTI stops reading, then clockwise again till at the timing mark before TDC.

05/ Take the measurement and rotate the pump in small amounts in either direction to get the correct amount of plunger travel on the gauge. Lock up pump bolts (just tight enough to stop movement of the pump when rotating)

06/ You will have to follow step #4 and #5 till you get the travel right.

From memory the correct timing is about .63mm for that engine but it will run ok if not better sometimes at .83mm plunger travel.

Corey

• Like 1

oh right lol yeah read it again and noticed the rofl ! anyways also my wastegate is leaking oil around the base of the thread, the wastegate is that small round pressure valve on top on the intake manifold correct ? well pulled it off and it was packed with old oil build up didnt look too healthy, what would cause this ?

Hey man thats the EGR valve(exhaust gas recirculation valve) make a plate to cover the hole where it comes out of the manifold (exhaust end) and block that piece of crap off. They are more trouble than they are worth.

The oil is from the intake manifold from the rocker cover breather, thats pretty normal. But take the intake pipe off of your turbo just to make sure it doesn't look like the turbo seal is leaking.

Post a pic if you are not sure.

Corey

• Like 1

could be the boost pressure valve too?? , dunno what mitsi's look like under the bonnet to be honest .

and yea if its the egr take that shit off all it does is fills your intercooler (if you have one) and intake manifold full of oil

Hey man thats the EGR valve(exhaust gas recirculation valve) make a plate to cover the hole where it comes out of the manifold (exhaust end) and block that piece of crap off. They are more trouble than they are worth.

The oil is from the intake manifold from the rocker cover breather, thats pretty normal. But take the intake pipe off of your turbo just to make sure it doesn't look like the turbo seal is leaking.

Post a pic if you are not sure.

Corey

It won't be EGR it will be the pressure relief valve

VL-Turbo-Relief-Valve-Highlighted.jpg

(I know that's not a Mitsi diesel but it's the best pic I can find fast.

Hey Raizer you might be right, thanks bro..... scrap what I said and strip that down and clean it out. It should be set 2 psi higher than the boost you are running (about 9psi standard). If it does have a pipe going to the exhaust manfold please do as I said above.

As Raizer said though it is just a pressure releif valve and if it is working all the time then you have an over boosting problem.

Corey

Hey Raizer you might be right, thanks bro..... scrap what I said and strip that down and clean it out. It should be set 2 psi higher than the boost you are running (about 9psi standard). If it does have a pipe going to the exhaust manfold please do as I said above.

As Raizer said though it is just a pressure releif valve and if it is working all the time then you have an over boosting problem.

Corey

now how to fix overboosting probs on diesels .block off the fuel return pipe :twisted: .. plumes shall insue unless it direct injection in hich case holes in pistons might insue

i pulled the release valve off your right it was that thing in the pic and swapped it for a diff one off my old manifold, didnt make a diff so it must have been ok just leaking a little and as for the egr i ripped that shit off ages ago lol and i think the wastegate must be this thing in the picture below with the arrow? how can you test it to see if its working ok ? also the second arrow is this where you put in a boost controller as i have one that i'm gunna install after a put in boost gauge and pyrometer

wastegate.jpg