steelies KP60

Steelies

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a KP starlet once, back in 1999. Paid the grand sum of $40 for it, even had reg but had a burnt out 2K engine. Still managed to thrash it back home. Using just a piece of 4x2 and some dodgy rope we removed the engine with 2 guys, put in a really good 4K that I had lying about then did skidz and compression slides in it everywhere. Never once broke down with all the abuse thrown at it. 

I ended up abandoning it in around the corner from where I was living when I borrowed the engine to put in my KE70 wagon. Like so many other starlets at the time it was left forgotten on a back wellington street and eventually towed. shame really as it was actually fun little car that went to red rocks many times, the fire breaks all around the brooklyn wind turbine, up Mt Vic town belt dirt tracks and even around the velodrome one night. Not to mention countless beer runs, mid night burn outs and getting me or who ever else needed it to work.

Good times.

top notch, i do love a good starlet story!

hope i can get those 13s sorted in time. clocked em up they're ok up/down but the bands are all between 1 and 2mm out of true side/side. thought they'd be more out considering it felt like driving a clown car.

• Like 1

unsure on jets but they look fairly standard. i have another set of keihins that i raided for spare parts, lots of crossover bits.

i've just drilled these main jets to 1.6mm, will have to just suck it and see.

ground and knocked a centre out of one of the rims last night. gona do em all and start over. been thinking about how i can jig them up etc. any thoughts? i have spare struts, DTIs, a flat plate and various things about the place..

I have often thought how they do this and I always imagine it would be something like the rim mounted in the jaws of a lathe and DTi'd to true.

Then make a rig perfectly parallel and centred to the centre of the lathe that will hold a trailer stub axle and hub with the centre bolted on and you slide it along the bed to mate them? 

I could be sooooo wrong though.

Yeah, I thought it would be something like that, an axle hub in the chuck, one gauge for radial runout and another for lateral then just a way of measuring offset of the rim centre. Tap the centre into the barrel by eye then chuck on the lathe and tappity tap tap with a mallet till its true and at required offset. 

yep. they've turned these centres in a lathe so radial runout is governed by that work. ie: i'm going to write that off line em up laterally as best i can.

probably tidy up band lip and clamp down to steel table, find something i can turn clean ends on at the correct offset and use that to support the centre, tack and clock till theyre happy then prep and weld.

then clock up again, then go to nats on stock wheels haha

• Like 2

yeah 4nR!

oh gold, knew i forgot something. sorry Mike, at least i remembered the SUs

most anything with Zazzy paint was in DIRE need of rust control, and i didnt want to polish a turd, so i put a hideous wig on it instead. the jizz is just there for yuck.

car is a quilt made of weak junk and will be treated as such.

test fitted manifold and carbs, looks good so weldy weldy time.

need to look into a filter soon. pipercross type thing..?

anyone got recommendations/something suitable for sale?

dont care about performance too much, simplicity of attachment would be good. no airbox, not enough time to build.

• Like 1