N/A 4g63

treggo

Hey fellas.

I have been playing around with a few ideas lately, namely running a 4g in the capri with the use of a RwD sigma/lancer/l200 gearbox and engine mounts.

This I'm positive I could make work, but have a few questions on the motor itself namely the the ability for it to be able to handle boost.

From what I have seen the turbo motors go for silly money but the N/A versions can be picked up really cheaply.

What I'm thinking atm is running one with say a sc14 supercharger running lowish boost.

Do you think that the motor will handle it okay? I plan to run an aftermarket computer etc.

Cheers in advance, Matt.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

should have just pm'd fuel with regards to mitsi shit.

would so not go to the effort to run a 4g63 let alone supercharged. I suppose it has decent scope for modifications if you felt so inclined.

1/2jz is my vote if you dont mind automatic or 1ggte if you prefer manual

Why do people insist on going to all the effort of supercharging something and then putting on a crappy toyota super charger? For all that effort and minimal results just to be a little bit "different", surely its not really worth it in the end?

Why do people insist on going to all the effort of supercharging something and then putting on a crappy toyota super charger? For all that effort and minimal results just to be a little bit "different", surely its not really worth it in the end?

because they are relatively cheap and accessable as hell.

i was talking 2 a guy wit a rally vr4.he blew the bottem end.hhad a n/a block sittiing round so used that temporarily,4 years later of rally thrashing its still fine

also know of a guy doing this, running open boost and hasnt popped yet 20psi plus.......

4G is a mean option. SR's are done to death thesedays, although not in Capris 8)

I think this idea has merit. It won't be difficult really as there's a lot of info on this site about it (rwd'ing DOHC) and cunts like Phil know everything anyway.

Mike-e...1/2J??? Price? Can get a twin cam 4G for like $200 or less with low kays if you shop around, and won't affect the handling either

sr20s aren't done to death. sr20 turbo, is though.

In fact, turbo is done to death. who care if you can mash a huge turbo on and push big numbers due to silly boost pressures? I want to see REVS, lack of driveability but still in daily use, grumpy, poor idling, barely staying cool naturally aspired badness.

sr20 on gtir itb's would rule my loins. n/a gfearboxes aren't that hard to get and primera sr20s are dime a dozen.

doit

would rule

sohc 4g63 = nigh on pointless conversion, same horsepower as pinto but harder to buy lush bits for.

yeah.

And really, who needs more than that sort of 100% reliable horsepower?

99% of the population couldn't drive a half sorted car to it's complete potential with that sort of power, most would need to work on their technique well before they need more grunt. myself included I imagine,.

You'll have a sweet performing, reliable, smooth powerplant with uniqueness to close the deal.

SOLD HENRY!

N/A DOHC 4G63 bottom end is pretty much identical to the turbo bottom end, apart from the pistons, lack of oil squirters and oil pump housing with outlet/inlet for oil cooler.

4G63 was originally based off the Pinto motor, if you didn't know already. Why supercharge though? they have millions of support for turbo.

$800 ridiculous price? if not pm me i have one... its out of a vr4 which is one of the strongest blocks... also if you were to use a n/a block couldn't u combat unreliability issues due to high compression with a decompression plate between 2 steel headgaskets?

Thanks for the imput. I think turbo is the way to go, and would be twincam for sure. I Like the idea of a high compresion turbo.

Might take this and run with it, I will start getting some parts together but am in no rush to do it just yet.

Yea N/A sr20 would be mean so would 4g63 aswell but a twincam.

High comp turbo motors rule, so responsive and sr20 can be done for pretty cheap depending on who you know. most expensive parts being a tune and gearbox.

I dont know if this will apply to you but i have had a sr20 and box in a sierra it lined up without cutting a hole for the gearstick and fitted in the tunnel. it seems about the same length as a pinto and Type 9, well in my car anyway haha.

blasphemy! dont let Gaz hear of this plan :lol: .

Grr indeed.

What I do think tho is..

-The 4g63 is an awsome motor

-The 4g63 is one of the cheaper 4pot turbo engines around, dont bother fucking round making one turbo. Keep an eye on trademe, they can go cheap.

-They are pretty old and boy raced.. which when combinded = need rebuild. (perhaps a rason to go NA version)

- Dont supercharge. The TD05h is a mint turbo on these.. Lots of power can be made out of them

- Id go larger cap engine if it was me

- You and your car actually want an RB

That is all.