triggers excellent ex

macabre

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Palmy styles ay, not long before we all return to our rootes! :D

Just think 12 years ago we started this shit in the same sort of cars we now own, driving round and round the square......

I have moved up from 12 years ago though, back then it was an orange Hillman Hunter, these days its a DATSUN!

WIKID car men, its seriously mint. When my datto is going I will have to come back to palmy and we will have to go for a cruise for nostalgic purposes..... :)

sweet little lancer, some good plans you've got there. just a couple of points that might help, starion struts will produce a hell of a lot more negative camber. that plus lowerage might mean too much, EX1800's and EX2000's run the same brakes and struts with less camber if you can find some.

the 1600 lancers run the same radiator's as the sigma's, bigger than the 1200's.

looking at that picture of the boosters it looks like a different bolt pattern, the sigma one looks like its a perfect diamond while the lancer one looks like its shorter from top to bottom than side to side. i tried fitting a starion booster and master in my old EX, ended up using just the master on my EX1600 booster because there was no room for the booster. from memory that was because of the location of my clutch master though so you might not have that problem with a cable clutch.

looking forward to seeing your progress, wish i could have found a shell that sweet before i gave up and stripped my rust bucket. would be still running around in it now.

cheers

Matt

Cheers "Rxtoy"

Yea have heard about the dramas with Starion front struts in Ex's :rolleyes:

Tried finding some Ex GSR struts but yea pretty thin on the ground?

I've taken the "complete" Ex AND Sigma: engine x-members, lower arms,

steering, and struts around to the workshop whos making all the suspension etc

and told him about the negative camber possiblity etc

We are going to dummy everything up 1st and see what need to be changed/

modified, he reckons shouldnt be a problem (has LOTS of experenice) 8)

And I've talked to a lot of people on here, that are running Starion struts but everyone

has done it differently? :?

Guess I will too, let you know how it works out...

Might keep an eye out of a 1600cc Ex radiator then :wink:

I'm pretty sure the booster WILL fit, I've dummied it up already and fits perfectly,

all x4 mounting holes the same, doesnt block or cover clutch cable hole, master cylinder

doesnt hit the anything (strut tower etc)

I'm sure I read your post on the Lancer Register (UK) about you fitting a Starion booster,

(like I've said I've done a lot of research about Ex Lancers)

got some more pics to help show...

This is the Sigma booster "IN" the Ex:

booster014.jpg

booster016.jpg

Back of both boosters, Sigma: (LEFT) Ex: (RIGHT)

bolt patterns are the same

booster018.jpg

cheers for all the advice man, keen to hear any other ideas that might help

Yeah, have looked into bring the lower arms in,

by re-drilling the main holes in the engine x-member

(for the lower arm, through bolts)

even camber plates etc,

The only difference with the Starion setup seems to be the x2 bolt ball joint knukle

Would love to get some GSR Ex front struts (make it a whole lot easier)

I'll get it all in, and dummied up and see what and where to change things,

dont think it'll be too much of a major (fingers X'd)

...WIKID car men, its seriously mint. When my datto is going I will have to come back to palmy and we will have to go for a cruise for nostalgic purposes..... :)

Shout when you do and I'll drag the KP out.

Beaut EX though, that 2 tone is so perfect, especially on the Sigma steels. Yum.

if you start changing the mounting positions for your lower arms it will fuck up your handling pretty badly.

you'd need to also move in the steering arms so they're still the same length as the arms and pivot points are the same front to back as the lower arms.

i'm not 100% clued up on suspension stuff but i have done a fair bit of reading on this sort of subject due to considering the possibility of swapping rack and pinion into a TA23 i used to have. i can't tell you why it won't work (do a search on ackerman angle and related stuff) but it will give you stupid amounts of bump steer and make the car pretty much undriveable.

i'd throw everything together and see how bad it is, from what i heard back in the day starions give about 5 degrees less than EX2000's and with my EX lowered 3 inches it had 3 or 4 degrees negative. you could live with 8-9 degrees, it would be pretty hard on tires but would look fucking sweet.

cheers

Matt

ur negative camber will be mint dont worry

my car is on the ground rolling with the setups we talked about it and its mint, looks m3ga awes too, is in getting heaps of things tidied up inlcuding the starion/sigma tierod ends and

will be goining for a wheel alignment soon so might even get exact negative camber figures

yea dont even bother trying to find gsr struts, i had a pair but the discs were worn(lesson to learn dont ever buy anything from reardrive in palmy!!)

and you cant get new discs for them anywhere

how hard was the l200 extension swap?ive got a couple of l200 boxes here but would be good to know i can buy sigma boxes and just keep my l200 extension hosuings etc when i blow them and just put them on the sigma boxes rather than trying to find l200 boxes

ur sure ur ex had 3-4 negative rxtoy :o

thats fucking heaps like 3 degress is around what race cars usually use and would be chewing tires out something chronic

8-9 degress would be undriveable :!:

i might have to look into a sigma booster uprgrade too

have bleed my brakes (starion front and s14 rear) and they feel pretty good nice and firm etc

what difference does a bigger booster make anyways?

Thanks for the advice Rxtoy,

Was actually at the suspension place today, talking with the guy about the Starion struts,

I'm not going to pretend I know much about suspension setups, but this guy does 8)

If we do decide to bring the lower arms in (10-20mm) I've basicly got x2 steering setups to

choose from, (x1 LONG, x1 SHORT)

I've talked about this with a few people already, including people on here (Ke36, isnowi, etc)

and have found that the Sigma and Ex have exactly the same commponnets in the steering

the only difference is the Sigma has x2 parts that are slightly "longer"

which is the RIGHT INNER tie rod, and the LEFT 'turnbuckle' (thread adjusting tube)

there is a 20-30mm xtra (in length) with both parts, giving a 40-60mm xtra in total length to

the Sigma steering rack, over the Ex

(note, pitman and idler arms are EACH, BOTH 15mm "shorter" for the Sigma than the Ex)

So with the lower arms in the factory postion, I need to use the Sigma steering setup, and the

Ex setup "if" we bring the lower arms in

End of the day, its hard to know whats "right" (or going to work) until you get it in there and see for yourself,

if anyone has fitted Starion struts to an Ex before I'd like to hear what was used/done :wink:

Ke36: glad to hear yours is going together man, so you using the longer (Sigma) steering bits then?

yeah, be real keen to hear how the wheel alignment goes,

I've heard about "rear drive" how much were the GSR struts? :?

L200 extension housing easy as swap over on the sigy box man (havent cut a hole yet?)

Again the booster is easy as, just uses more pressure

ok sweet

wasnt aware of the pitman arm situtation, i assume the shorter length is due to the fact that the sigma crossmember actually mounts everything approx 15mm rearward than ex therefore the ilder arm and pitman arm ar shorter to compensate for everything being closer??

so you guna use them? as your using sigma xmember aye?i think the lancer ones might even make the steering setup hit the sigma xmeber??

i think lancer xmemebr than lancer idler and pitman and sigma xmember sigma ilder and pitman

sweet nah i havent cut a hole as ive got l200 gearboxes, just seems sigma ones are easier to find and cheaper as there not a comercial part, wreckers want like $300+ for a l200 box as most of it gets shipped overseas to 3rd world countries etc

ill take me camera with me next time i go see my car to show you the camber ive got