Kyteler's new/old Skyrine

84_S12

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prince was its own independent company before the mid-60's Nissan takeover; this wasn't popular in Japan with Prince dealers, who considered their cars much superior to Nissans, there are still older Nissan dealerships that signpost themselves "Prince" in Japan

"Prince" had that name because members of the Japanese royal family owned Prince cars

The "Prince" name was so well regarded in Oz and NZ, that later cars like the Gloria were badged as Princes years after the Japanese domestic models had changed over to Nissan badging

I saw a Station wagon version of your car for sale in Auckland around 1993, 2-tone blue, it was a gem

Probably the rarest car on this forum.....

GW

Cheers.

Though there is likely a few rarer. Steve (nzmax) has a BLSID-3 for one.

There was another S21D-4 for sale recently that Jason from the Prince Register in Australia bought and had shipped over there and there's another one in Dunedin at Seaview. There was the red wagon at Kumeu a few years back which has now gone back to Japan and there's another BLSID-3 at one of the car museums, Wood"Something" ?? I forget the name. It's likely that the wagon you speak of is the same one that was featured in NZ Classic Car at around that time.

Those that make it to the internet and magazines are but a very small portion of what is actually about, I imagine. This is NZ after all, there's a million cars hidden behind hedgerows and in sheds all over the country.

I would give this up for a LSI-1, but that's not a likely scenario in any reality. :lol:

Prince was its own independent company before the mid-60's Nissan takeover; this wasn't popular in Japan with Prince dealers, who considered their cars much superior to Nissans, there are still older Nissan dealerships that signpost themselves "Prince" in Japan

"Prince" had that name because members of the Japanese royal family owned Prince cars

The "Prince" name was so well regarded in Oz and NZ, that later cars like the Gloria were badged as Princes years after the Japanese domestic models had changed over to Nissan badging

I saw a Station wagon version of your car for sale in Auckland around 1993, 2-tone blue, it was a gem

Probably the rarest car on this forum.....

GW

Just to add to your post...

Prince Motors and Nissan merged in August 1966. The reason for the merger was a Government initiative to make companies bigger so that they couldnt be taken over by foreign companies. The same reason Mitsubishi and Hino merged, as well as Toyota/Daihatsu.

The original company changed their name to Prince in honour of the then reigning Crown Prince of Japan.

The Prince name pretty much disappeared off new cars in NZ during 1967. The new shape A30 series Gloria was released here in May 1967, and badged solely as a Nissan, even though it was designed by Prince. Skylines were assembled in Japan (Glorias were assembled in Christchurch) so any badging followed the Japanese market cars, with the last of them badged as Nissans but did still retain the P symbol on the grille and rear end.

The Gloria was also known here by its export name of B200. The export name for Skyline was A200. Prince cars and trucks were exported to a lot of countries round the world.

The earlier Skyline wagons were called Skyway, and were sold here in 1963.

My BLSID-3 Skyline Deluxe was registered new in 1962, and was 1 of 49 sitting on the wharf at Lyttelton when the first owners test drove it, still covered in protective grease. It was one of the first Skylines sold out of the first batch imported. From what ive read, Croydon Motors in Christchurch had a licence to be able to import 300 Skylines sedans and wagons, which i believe includes the S21-4 series (Kytelers model) sold during 1963.

A search of Wikipedia shows the BLSID-3 Skyline at Southwards Museum in one of the pics, even though its labelled as an ALSID-2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Skyline

Pic of my Skyline. Kytelers is an updated version of mine, with the different front guards, grille, bonnet and headlight position. The rest of the car is virtually the same.

skylinefront.jpg

skylinerear.jpg

1st owners swear they have never had an accident in it, and the 2nd owner didnt do much with it and put it in a shed. Im the 3rd owner. Is a bit rough round the edges, but still in good original condition. Even the paint still shines nicely when its not covered in dust like in the pic.

The 1st owners lived on a shingle road, which is the reason the base of the bootlid and bumper valance dont have much paint left on them. The chrome on the rear bumper is pitted for the same reason.

Interior is in good nick too. The top of the front seat has a couple of holes in the vinyl where the 2nd owners grandkids stuck a screwdriver through it. Being a Deluxe, it has cloth seat facings which are still perfectly intact, although a little grubby. The factory crimson carpet in the rear has seen better days. Has vinyl matting in the front which has gone a bit brittle with age.

skyineinside.jpg

• 7 months later...

Oi doodle-bot.

There is potential for a towcar and car trailer heading full to Dunners in May.. (Dunners guy would pay costs to get car and trailer to Dunners from Wellington..

What would your thoughts be on said trailer being towed on to Invers and picking up one of your whips - I presume this one would be the most immediately towable and least likely to be worked on in the near future. Then I can drag it back to the Norf Eyelid for ya..

I would be at the helm of said tow vehicle so it won't be no flat peaking RX# drooling, tecks speeking eediot being trusted with your pride..

Also if you come up to OS Nats then you can roll back with me to Invers and pay "by the book" if ya pickin up what I'm puttin down...

Just a thought anywho..

• 8 years later...