Killroy's Marina.

treggo

Fully used to own one of these lol.

Cost me nothing - fixed a truneon arm that had collapsed on it and then sold it for 500 bucks no wof and dereg.

Not a bad car though.

Good to see they still around though. The spot lights in the grille are the same ones on my zephyr :) Bought them from a wrecker ages ago and pulled them out the car myself. $5 the pair. :lol:

Are any of them 6 cyls? And do you have a coupe? I saw a coupe in pick-a-part a few months back and thought it was something itailian until i saw the leyland symbol on the head :lol:

None of those in his pic are 6's, the Aussie/Saffa assembled 262's have a distinctive grille design, plus are all pre facelift ones as well.

• 1 month later...

Dang..!

Just discovered this thread.

Wondered why there were no replies in the projects thread.. doh..!

So - sorry for the late response Dudes.

All the Marinas I have are UK Mk3 models, so they were originally fitted with an O series 1700 sohc, except the vans which still have the old 1275 A series - like an inline mini.

I did have some earlier models which were wrecked, and some of those had a twin carb version of the 1800 B series - like MGB.

The blue estate - my everyday work hauler - has one of those bored to 1905 using Mk3 Zephyr pistons, and mated to a BW65 auto. Built it 12 years ago, has now done 320,000k and not dead. Yay for synthetic oil..!

Gettin a bit ratty now, but I use it for everything..

r5.jpg

ma162.jpg

No - I don't have all of them yet :D , but figured if I got enough with sound bodywork (sorta..), then I could keep them goin for another 12 years hahaha.

My family are using them too now.

Seemed too good to be true back when people were giving them to me for nothing - and I got to thinking - hey - only 1 set of spares needed...?

I think the superlites suit them best - I'd really like some wide steels, but doubt that anyone bands them nowadays - can't be havin too much fun now, can we..?

Got one set of hotwires, but they only 6" and don't have enough offset to fill the guards properly. These things have a tiny stud pattern, so are weird to most other cars.

Except Triumph Heralds I think..

.. and they weird too.

ma184.jpg

Most have been dropped 2" both ends, and have a monster swaybar up front, and a rear one on the cars - estates and vans have heavier rear springs. Front shocks beefed up - havn't done any other suspension mods yet - just carefully rebuild them. Handling pretty good considering they were never expected to...

Biggest improvement in handling is defo the wheels - the 13x7 supers widen the track by 3"..!

Ground clearance is a bit of a prob - ripped the sump outa the auto up a backroad on the Coast a year or so back - that was fun...

bd3.jpg

Still messin with engine improvements, but ya gotta spend real money to get far, and the whole idea of these cars was not to spend money.. :wink:

Cheers

"Lead tipped arrow" I think was a phrase used in the road test of a PINK (yeah man, 70's pink!) of a Marina 262 in a 1974 Wheels magazine I have lying around!

From "Lemon: 60 Heroic Failures of Motoring":

"The suspension was shocking in a literal sense. This not only gave the occupants a jarring time, it hurried along all those badly attached parts that were already thinking of leaving.

There was a choice of two body styles (sedan and coupe), while engine options included a 1500 'four' and two 1750s. A Leyland sales blurb described these engines as 'Fast', 'Faster' and 'Good morning Officer'. In reality, the performance suggested the Marina had a few too many boats moored to it. :lol:

A solution, from late 1973, was to squeeze the P76's six under the bonnet. Mimicking the trend established by Holden with its six-cylinder Torana, this transformed the Marina from an underpowered pig to an understeering pig."

Guess what other cars owned on this forum also feature in this book?

Jaguar XJS, Datsun 120Y and.. um.. Alfa Romeo 33. :wink:

TDS

No worries Boe.

I thought Marinas were a total joke when I got my first one.

Swapped it for a used washing machine.

Couldn't believe how badly it handled - but it still had a certain something...

I refined the 'something'.

I found that the Mk3 had a lot of improvements in the suspension dept - and you'll note that all your articles refer to the Australian models - built for rough roads and even rougher drivers...

Hey - I thought they were naff-mobiles, and I only ever intended to own one of them...

Strange how things can change.

Now I take a perverse pleasure in blowing off much smarter motors who thought much the same as I did.

Love this stuff.

Mind you - I did start by doing this... probably before most of you guys had graduated from a pedal-car...

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~kilroy/Act1.htm

Might explain a bit...

Chiz all,

Kil

ao01.jpg