MESDUPS 1986 Mazda bongo

Gaz

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a website or something that I can look at about the different types of rotaries? all I know about is a bridgeport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Wankel_engine

Theres a good start.

We used to have a bongo, used to take half the soccer team to games in it :lol:

I can never understand why you'd want to own something like that but it looks good and would probably be a good deal quicker than my car, good stuff :)

rotor vans are funny yea. but honestly, who doesnt run a oil press guage for basically, a race engine...

i went for a ride in a pp bongo, cant remember much i was fucking pissed but it was funny. couch stz in the back. awesome.

looks cool, that guy go to hospital for a broken back after lifting that? haha.

Is there a website or something that I can look at about the different types of rotaries? all I know about is a bridgeport

There isnt a lot of info about porting on there. I had a mint link i showed kyetler the other day.

Basically tho. Rotors dont make that noise unless they are ported.

the porting is similar to porting on a Piston engines head but instead are done on the housing in which the rotor sits. the noise of the rotor passing the ports is what makes the noise.

http://www.mazdarotary.net/porting.htm

From Standard to PP.

the porting is similar to porting on a Piston engines head but instead are done on the housing in which the rotor sits. the noise of the rotor passing the ports is what makes the noise.

when you relate porting to a piston engine, id say its more a combination of head work and cam. the port flows alot more air/fuel mixture into the engine and a bridge/j/pp which have that distict 'pulsing' noise is heard because of the inlet/exhaust overlap.

the reason big j's and pps have a higer idle rpm is to over come this huge overlap.

bridge and pp is relitively easy to understand but some times its easier to understand the concept of a j then looking at some pics to see how the plates are ported quite big and housings are matched to the ports.

might chuck up some pics for you homies if you want them.

when you relate porting to a piston engine, id say its more a combination of head work and cam. the port flows alot more air/fuel mixture into the engine and a bridge/j/pp which have that distict 'pulsing' noise is heard because of the inlet/exhaust overlap.

the reason big j's and pps have a higer idle rpm is to over come this huge overlap.

bridge and pp is relitively easy to understand but some times its easier to understand the concept of a j then looking at some pics to see how the plates are ported quite big and housings are matched to the ports.

might chuck up some pics for you homies if you want them.

Hah, cheers, im not that knowledgeable on them. id say i know more than the average piston guy :)

But yeah. i suppose it is the same as a new cam too.

shit i never realised there was a project discussion page.

yeah its a bastard to pull the motor out of a van, couldnt get it high enough to pull it out from underneath, and you can really get a hoist in unless you take a door off.

twin pulleys are not for anythng special they are just poor mans gilmer drives. it should have a little whine to it.

Another Rota. Has this one got reverse?

Nah looks mint, whats interior like? Any back seats or is it couch styles?

yeah this ones got a good box in it, seats are pretty ripped up, but its been marine carpeted through out, i got one pic of it but its got nik in it bein an idiot, nothing in the back yet but i want to get a fold out couch in there

nah i dont think he has, he painted billy's bongo on the w/e, havnt seen it yet.

bought the 13b off trademe 2 weeks ago, got good compression, originally it came from a series 3 rx7, but was removed from an rx2 that was being restored.

standard tall port, inlet tracts on centre plate are quite sizeable in standard form.

so yeah motors down getting all the shit bolted up, i didnt want to do the flywheel,clutch and pressure plate as i dont trust myself as i am basically sitting on the motor so thats all getting done at the same time as the other shit