• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest white_raven

First off, i'm from the states and we dont have shit over here like that and...

WOW simply the most amazing thing ever! Honestly its beautiful!!!!

so i have a few questions...that i've never been able to get answered! hopefully you can help....i spent like 2 hours last night pouring over this thread for answers....

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THAT CRAZY CAMBER? What Suspension setup are you using? all custom or what? I'm doing my first attempt at all boso cressida (mx73)...i was wondering if you could give me some pointers...thanks!

saw your daily getting a warrent today bay, looks al good

took her to dirty Rolch Automotive glenfield hehe... needed new brake hose and tie rod ends, now another 6mo of peace - yes! fella at Rolch isall good.

however, i need to swap the cutties back in the front because 2" clearance tyre to guard is fuckin rubbish disgraceful :doubt:

First off, i'm from the states and we dont have shit over here like that and...

WOW simply the most amazing thing ever! Honestly its beautiful!!!!

so i have a few questions...that i've never been able to get answered! hopefully you can help....i spent like 2 hours last night pouring over this thread for answers....

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THAT CRAZY CAMBER? What Suspension setup are you using? all custom or what? I'm doing my first attempt at all boso cressida (mx73)...i was wondering if you could give me some pointers...thanks!

whiteraven guy - cheers for the comment - where in the states are you - did you vote obama or Colonel Sanders?

its a shame you guys dont get the old crowns and whatnot - northamerican specific market seems strangely diluted and watered down.... i spent some time in idaho/oregon and the number of cringeworthy moments i had there were amazing. actualy same thing in LA etc. yeesh.

camber on the back is achieved with zero effort - reason is - these cars (some models) run a single trailing arm independant rear suspension - so there is only one pivot point per se. the lower you go, the more the wheel swings up, the more camber you get. theres alot of room under the guards and the factory bump stops are like 10cm long. cut down the bumpstop rubber and gain yourself a couple inches of extra travel, take the springs out and you'll have something ridiculously cool looking. also, running smaller diameter tyres and rubber also reduce overall diameter and brings the car lower again.

this doesnt apply to front wheels as you can see my front wheels are like 0.5degreees camber and look gay as. which im working on, i think at the moment i cant be bothered retrofitting camber plates to the tophats of the shocks as you would do normally, so thinking of simply rose-jointing the lower arms to make them adjustable and kick the wheels out. thats in progress

modern cars may or may not end up wit the same camber effect it all depends on the suspension used. i know honda odysseys have similar rear setup, so they end up with the same thing when boned out. obviously if you have a solid rear end, then forget about it - need independant rear. so it isnt any engineering trickery on my part, just luck.

if youre working on a mx73 thenall u have to do is 1) jack up rear end 2) remove wheels 3) unbolt shock lower mount bolts 4) swing down lower arms and drop the springs out 5) cut bumpstops in half 6) refit everything except the springs 7) set it down on the ground after realising you cant get your jack out so get blocks for under the wheels first then try again 8) start laughing crazy-like at the result 9) go for a drive 10) life never the same again

and then ur where i am, at 11) how the fuck to do the same to front with minimal $$$ expense. lol

ok have fun

Guest white_raven

whiteraven guy - cheers for the comment - where in the states are you - did you vote obama or Colonel Sanders?

its a shame you guys dont get the old crowns and whatnot - northamerican specific market seems strangely diluted and watered down.... i spent some time in idaho/oregon and the number of cringeworthy moments i had there were amazing. actualy same thing in LA etc. yeesh.

camber on the back is achieved with zero effort - reason is - these cars (some models) run a single trailing arm independant rear suspension - so there is only one pivot point per se. the lower you go, the more the wheel swings up, the more camber you get. theres alot of room under the guards and the factory bump stops are like 10cm long. cut down the bumpstop rubber and gain yourself a couple inches of extra travel, take the springs out and you'll have something ridiculously cool looking. also, running smaller diameter tyres and rubber also reduce overall diameter and brings the car lower again.

this doesnt apply to front wheels as you can see my front wheels are like 0.5degreees camber and look gay as. which im working on, i think at the moment i cant be bothered retrofitting camber plates to the tophats of the shocks as you would do normally, so thinking of simply rose-jointing the lower arms to make them adjustable and kick the wheels out. thats in progress

modern cars may or may not end up wit the same camber effect it all depends on the suspension used. i know honda odysseys have similar rear setup, so they end up with the same thing when boned out. obviously if you have a solid rear end, then forget about it - need independant rear. so it isnt any engineering trickery on my part, just luck.

if youre working on a mx73 thenall u have to do is 1) jack up rear end 2) remove wheels 3) unbolt shock lower mount bolts 4) swing down lower arms and drop the springs out 5) cut bumpstops in half 6) refit everything except the springs 7) set it down on the ground after realising you cant get your jack out so get blocks for under the wheels first then try again 8) start laughing crazy-like at the result 9) go for a drive 10) life never the same again

and then ur where i am, at 11) how the fuck to do the same to front with minimal $$$ expense. lol

ok have fun

I'm in seattle, washington

HAHAH i actually voted Constitution Party: GO Chuck Baldwin 08'!

hahahah i'll take out the springs! lol as soon as i get it running (blown head gasket)!

i'm just wondering how did you measure and compensate for wheel travel in the front and rear? did you just bash out the fenders enough so it has quite a bit of clearance?

and then what was your final suspension setup on the front and rear?

sorry if i'm asking a question that was already answer!

thanks for the advice!

keep rockin the boso!

i'll post some pics of my mx73 as soon as i get a chance!

other than obama and mccain i dont have much idea on the others - shows how much we rely on blown out media coverage to know whats goin on heh

headgasket? they dont need headgaskets to run. i bet it runs fine. my 1g-e daily runs the same with oil or no oil in the sump, its optional. my mates one ran on no oil or water and then ran on detergent after that. who cares about a steamy exhaust pipe - youre putting H2O back into the environment - its all natural!

what did i do? i made that cardboard/metal sheet mockup of a rim if you recall reading early in the build, to measure clearances etc of a wide rim, however that method didnt really take into consideration the pivoting of the arms as the arms are displaced, so i was still out by a bit. i dished the wheels too much and so i had to just 'bash to suit' to get clearances. then it was a matter of varying the ride height to suit (adjustable platforms on front, but on rear its fixed so i just installed and unnstalled the springs and test drove about 2301 times each time cutting a bit more coil off until it sat just right to look good but also ride good and not scrape under accel or bump. i was also trialling different springs each time (from different cars fro junkyard) so each one gave different load and bump results.

final setup? finally settled on some coils that were stiff enough to not displace the load too much but long enough to remain captive. couldnt tell you how much was cut off them, but i think the springs came from a late 1980's ford falcon xl sedan, one of the huge ones, and probably not a model you have there anyway. front suspension were the coilovers SUPPOSEDLY for a VW Polo?? with 450lb springs and platforms i bought from a suspension shop and grafted onto the stock struts which we shortened, rewelded and de-platformed (ground off the factory platforms)

so in 1000 words i have answered you with nothing useful right. no off the shelf crap for these cars so the above process was all i had as an option

just take the springs out and roll around on bumps until you grow older and get it all out of your system, then by that time you'll be ready for a modern MPV with auto box fold down arm rests and 35 air bags cus u and i know end of the day this car game is ratshit on the budget and reliability and all that :)

...right?? 8)

Guest white_raven
other than obama and mccain i dont have much idea on the others - shows how much we rely on blown out media coverage to know whats goin on heh

headgasket? they dont need headgaskets to run. i bet it runs fine. my 1g-e daily runs the same with oil or no oil in the sump, its optional. my mates one ran on no oil or water and then ran on detergent after that. who cares about a steamy exhaust pipe - youre putting H2O back into the environment - its all natural!

what did i do? i made that cardboard/metal sheet mockup of a rim if you recall reading early in the build, to measure clearances etc of a wide rim, however that method didnt really take into consideration the pivoting of the arms as the arms are displaced, so i was still out by a bit. i dished the wheels too much and so i had to just 'bash to suit' to get clearances. then it was a matter of varying the ride height to suit (adjustable platforms on front, but on rear its fixed so i just installed and unnstalled the springs and test drove about 2301 times each time cutting a bit more coil off until it sat just right to look good but also ride good and not scrape under accel or bump. i was also trialling different springs each time (from different cars fro junkyard) so each one gave different load and bump results.

final setup? finally settled on some coils that were stiff enough to not displace the load too much but long enough to remain captive. couldnt tell you how much was cut off them, but i think the springs came from a late 1980's ford falcon xl sedan, one of the huge ones, and probably not a model you have there anyway. front suspension were the coilovers SUPPOSEDLY for a VW Polo?? with 450lb springs and platforms i bought from a suspension shop and grafted onto the stock struts which we shortened, rewelded and de-platformed (ground off the factory platforms)

so in 1000 words i have answered you with nothing useful right. no off the shelf crap for these cars so the above process was all i had as an option

just take the springs out and roll around on bumps until you grow older and get it all out of your system, then by that time you'll be ready for a modern MPV with auto box fold down arm rests and 35 air bags cus u and i know end of the day this car game is ratshit on the budget and reliability and all that :)

...right?? 8)

The part about there not being any "off the shelf stuff" is one of the things i love about these cars, 1( it brings you back to the heart of car tuning. back where you had to make to have it! 2( it deters alot of want-a-be's or whatever for completely destroying the nostalgia/culture of the car, kinda what happen to silvias/180sx (240sx over here) its horrible! but i dont think that will happen to these cars for some time to come...blah blah blah...

...right?? 8)

NO! lol its more a way of life, i have friends and know many ppl still rock this stuff (not just boso but vip, drift style, etc.) and they are well into there 40's!

things may take time when your on a budget but who cares! once you get a completion point, it makes it all worth it....lol

...right?

• 1 month later...

just a quick noobish question from the star out your build

051105%20-%20sacked%2001.JPG

sacked out the car! obtained coilover platforms from FBI for only $100!!!

the box said they were for VW Polo. i shrugged - turned out to fit perfectly. top hats matched stock cressida struts perfectly. we couldnt believe our eyes. $100 coilovers, keeper springs, the works.

FBI? im guessing a performance shop you guys have in Auckland?

im in chch

just curious

wondering if they had a website or someone down here sold them

how did you know they were gonna fit?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
just a quick noobish question from the star out your build

051105%20-%20sacked%2001.JPG

sacked out the car! obtained coilover platforms from FBI for only $100!!!

the box said they were for VW Polo. i shrugged - turned out to fit perfectly. top hats matched stock cressida struts perfectly. we couldnt believe our eyes. $100 coilovers, keeper springs, the works.

FBI? im guessing a performance shop you guys have in Auckland?

im in chch

just curious

wondering if they had a website or someone down here sold them

how did you know they were gonna fit?

cheers

yah FBI is a performance shop in aucks run by a mate of mine (Adam)- http://www.teamfbi.co.nz/

didnt know they were gona fit. went in asking (with no hope whatsoever) if he had any suspension parts for markII's/cressidas/coronas etc. nothing of course but then he said he did have some boxes of random coilover parts that i could have to take away. had a squiz at it and ended up with what im using. boxes were marked for VW Polo, unknown year. we knew the strut diameters and shock shaft diameters and we eyeballed it to possibly work - got home and tried them and fit perfectly, just good luck nothing else!!

• 2 months later...

so yeah, dailys gone, got the folks' old 91 corolla as a backup for now/runabout - markII is all legal, fukin sweet

took her in for full wheel alignment yesterday to sort out new subframe - rear runs between 3.6-4degrees negcamber - win. front only 1.1degree. need camber plates and more spacing.

question for anyone technical - i want to replace my wheelstuds with "longer" wheel studs (just mybe 5mm longer) so i can use larger slip-on spacers without running out of thread length. where can i get 'long' studs from? another car/factory model? or, parts shop? just need to do the front.

any tips appreciated. i have 25mm bolt on spacers, these aretoo wide... ideas??