chris r

Chrisr 86 fc3s rx7

112 posts in this topic

A full seal kit is about $2k. Replace the 3 piece apex seals with later 2 piece, but will still only be 2mm. Also upgrade the corner seal springs wth FD ones. Could go 3mm but you will need to get the slots done professional slotted.

Everything will need balancing.

The shit part will be if you have blown an apex seal, then it's probably done the housing too. New ones are about $800 from Mazda I think. If it's damaged the rotor well yeah, you can see how the costs start to add up, even if you plan to build it yourself.

Of course you don't have to do a full seal kit, but a good opertunity once it's open.

The hardest part about rebuilding the motor will be getting the clearances correct. Not sure if your vid covered that?

But I say go for it. Remember to drill some new ports.

3 people like this

It was just going over seals etc. I'll need to work out how to measure everything next to figure out if it is in spec. 

I'll pull It apart one day and see how fucked everything is

Yeah I can see how the costs add up quickly. 

Oh does anyone have recommendations/sources for info /specs before I get on google 

I have a Haynes FC manual that has plenty of stock rebuild specs/info if you would like to borrow? PM me

That'd be awesome. I'll need to visit a copy place and take a copy of this and the wiring one

When I did a budget rebuild (only soft seal replacements and a good clean and measure up) on mine years ago I used the factory service manual, it ran and got abused ALOT so can't complain.

You know it's legit if it says you can use out of spec apex seals as long as you use old apex seal springs so it doesn't push them up too far (which is what I did as I was poor lewl)

http://www.rotaryheads.com/PDF/2nd_gen/

2 people like this

Nah, throw away that horrible rotary engine, they were never any good anyway. Take one out of your hondas and have an RXVTEC

4 people like this

7 hours ago, tortron said:

Nah, throw away that horrible rotary engine, they were never any good anyway. Take one out of your hondas and have an RXVTEC

Think someone's working on a k20 to W series bellhousing adaptor.

could get some yota in there too

1 person likes this