KwS's Small Car Shenanigans. Making Altos work.

kws

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, kws said:

Mainly because they eventually came through with the refund, so feel mean completely blasting them.

If you wanted to Import Your Car, it wouldn't be hard to work out who it is. 

Any option for a holiday over to Japan and find one yourself?

• Like 1

Why did I lose it? Because they chose not to bid on it, based on the recommendation from the person in Japan bidding on the car. Why? because of this dent in the rear quarter panel.

Apparently that would "need a repair cert" to import.

It really sucks to hear that you had such a different experience with the importers, but I did run into this myself. In fact I ran into it on the blue car. It came up twice - the first time I told them to bid on it, the Japanese bidder refused to at auction time. 

"Our Japanese bidder decided to skip this car because of the aftermarket suspension. This happen sometimes especially if our Japanese bidder thinks that it might be an issue upon NZ compliance. The car sold for only 624,000JPY."

I let them know I was quite annoyed, but I was also impressed at the time. The guys themselves behaved as if they were genuinely on my side. I hope that they weren't actually trying to stiff you and were simply unaware of the costs of fighting rust to an NZ standard, but yeah, idk.

The car came up again for whatever reason - and this would have been the one you bid on too - and this time the Japanese bidder put it through (insert shrug emoji here - fuck this forum's emoji set, wow!).  After seeing what you've been through, I'm not sorry for sparing myself from that!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toucan said:

Link to cheap android unit with wireless Android auto? I can only find wired ones and reviews always say the cheap/small ram/rom versions are sluggish to operate

This is the one I got, the "7inch 2 32GB carplay" one specifically. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005259929995.html?channel=twinner 

It's not perfect, but for what I paid it seems to do what I want. I haven't had a decent chance to live with it yet, so my opinion could change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tomble said:

It really sucks to hear that you had such a different experience with the importers, but I did run into this myself. In fact I ran into it on the blue car. It came up twice - the first time I told them to bid on it, the Japanese bidder refused to at auction time. 

"Our Japanese bidder decided to skip this car because of the aftermarket suspension. This happen sometimes especially if our Japanese bidder thinks that it might be an issue upon NZ compliance. The car sold for only 624,000JPY."

I let them know I was quite annoyed, but I was also impressed at the time. The guys themselves behaved as if they were genuinely on my side. I hope that they weren't actually trying to stiff you and were simply unaware of the costs of fighting rust to an NZ standard, but yeah, idk.

The car came up again for whatever reason - and this would have been the one you bid on too - and this time the Japanese bidder put it through (insert shrug emoji here - fuck this forum's emoji set, wow!).  After seeing what you've been through, I'm not sorry for sparing myself from that!

Yeah, as I have discussed with you before, I didn't bid the first time around, but did the second time. I had a similar experience to you the first time around, where they refused to bid on it because "its not a Works, they never came out in that colour and it doesn't have the interior" and it got to the point they called me and argued over the phone about it until I could prove via the chassis number it was actually a Works, just in the Type 2 blue, and with seat covers on the Recaros.

I honestly got the feeling they don't actually know what they're talking about when it comes to compliance requirements, or specifics of vehicles, but are more than happy to try and turn you away if its easier for them. I guess if it was an easy to import, high grade, low KM car, it would've been fine, but as soon as it gets a little bit different with mods or rust, they just fall over.

I don't think they were trying to stiff me, just that they were a bit useless. They were very apologetic along the way, and did what they could to try and remedy the situation, and tbh if I had the refund when they originally said i would, i wouldn't be so salty about it all, but having to chase them to the point of threatening legal action was a bit shit.

• Like 1

"its not a Works, they never came out in that colour and it doesn't have the interior" 

Exact same happened to me, including calling me to tell me it wasn't a works. I had to follow up with a reply to his email where I was like "okay so this guy installed a works dash, works tacho, seats that look like works recaro's but brown, the works shifter, works body kit, works floor mats, but didn't bother to install a works badge or side decals?".  He rang me up again admitted it was a works.  I have to wonder what the timeline was on this, and why he didn't call you back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomble said:

I've got some plugs I haven't installed yet if you want to come over and try them out

Cheers, mine arrived this arvo. NZC didn't try and deliver them to the wrong suburb this time, which is nice.

• Like 3