DirtyThirtys 1984 Toyota Starlet KP61

DirtyThirty

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the good news is that if that is actually a 1984 then it is a slant front that has had a conversion done. Does it have the slant front hatch and interior?

If it doesn't have slant front hatch on the back then it is almost certainly plated and tagged

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

It’s a drop hatch with a front swap.  You can tell as the fire wall are different above the tunnel and the heater hoses go through in a different area on bug/flat front cars

Cheers mate! I wouldnt have known that. So just the front grille, wings and bumper etc to change back you reckon? 

The slant front bumper I have wants to fit but does quite at the moment, probably due to the flat front conversion? Sorta liked the slant front more anyways and it's easier to find bits so that'd be handy

You'll have no difficulty swapping the flat front parts for someone's slant front parts - with cash your way.

Guards, bonnet, grille, valance, I think headlight buckets, bumper and probably a few other little bits

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DirtyThirty said:

Anyone done a COP conversion on a 4age here? Generally you'd need a trigger wheel but I see everyone using the distributor base as a CAS? 

Yes, I have one using KPRs trigger setup on my 16v. There is a bracket that holds a hall effect sensor near the cambelt pulley (under the covers) and another that references a steel pin in my alloy inlet cam gear. So the upside is, it is all hidden. Beautiful clean signal to the ECU. Coils are OEM 2NZ units on an SQ coil plate.

52658625610_07cbb2f6ff_h.jpgKP61 Orakei Rd-175-Edit by Richard Opie, on Flickr

46511060225_2e799aee9f_h.jpgProject KP61 2019 (90) by Richard Opie, on Flickr

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snoozin said:

Man seeing that snippet of the numberplate, I am almost certain this is @Toucan's old KP61, can't be many other KP's 4AG swapped with those same plate letters.... Any signs of it having been a dark blue colour? 

I was thinking that when reading the first post but couldn't spot anything to verify, but the plate confirms it! I have seen it pop up in various states on trademe over the years so it's awesome to see a thread on here again!

Sadly pics all dead in old thread

1688758670563.jpg

• Like 1

Here's another. It's a KP60 as it originally had a 2k and x code diff. And it's a drophatch with flat front conversion as has been established. Happy to share more pics if I can boot up my old laptop and answer any questions but I can imagine it's had a whole string of different engines etc since my ownership. Fond memories of this car for sure!

1688760828194.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Snoozin said:

Man seeing that snippet of the numberplate, I am almost certain this is @Toucan's old KP61, can't be many other KP's 4AG swapped with those same plate letters.... Any signs of it having been a dark blue colour? 

No signs of it being dark blue, but definitely red. It's had a few plates over time. When I get a chance I'll check those up! 

5 hours ago, Toucan said:

Here's another. It's a KP60 as it originally had a 2k and x code diff. And it's a drophatch with flat front conversion as has been established. Happy to share more pics if I can boot up my old laptop and answer any questions but I can imagine it's had a whole string of different engines etc since my ownership. Fond memories of this car for sure!

1688760828194.jpg

If only those Hoshinos were still around! Love the blue. This came to me completely stripped of everything so its a bit of a process. Great to see some history! 

On 07/07/2023 at 21:48, Snoozin said:

Yes, I have one using KPRs trigger setup on my 16v. There is a bracket that holds a hall effect sensor near the cambelt pulley (under the covers) and another that references a steel pin in my alloy inlet cam gear. So the upside is, it is all hidden. Beautiful clean signal to the ECU. Coils are OEM 2NZ units on an SQ coil plate.

52658625610_07cbb2f6ff_h.jpgKP61 Orakei Rd-175-Edit by Richard Opie, on Flickr

46511060225_2e799aee9f_h.jpgProject KP61 2019 (90) by Richard Opie, on Flickr

Fantastic! I wanted it all hidden so thanks.

Was going to go with the full MRP 1NZ kit but the trigger missing from all the various kits always got me. 

EDIT: kpr's last trigger kit acquired so ill get the sensors and look at installing them once they arrive.

Was away for a week but have some trumpets waiting for me and have chosen to go for a MaxxECU. Got some work ahead of me yet...

• 1 month later...