Roman's 4GR V6 Carina discussion thread

Roman

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they do make roll cages out of it. 
I'm not sure to be honest, I've just heard it tends to crack or shrink a lot from welding and it causes issues.
Since this is a flywheel that if all goes to plan it is going to be spinning at a fairly silly rpm. 
I'd rather not take too many chances with it. 
Buuuuttt yeah maybe I should have an ask around.
I might go get a second flex plate/ring gear from pickapart and just bolt all that up. At least that way I can know if the motor can crank over or not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah would need to use 3GR block, 2MZ crank and 2MZ rods.
Or you'd end up with the piston sitting way too low in the block. 
Then you might get lucky and find that 3GR or 2MZ pistons work and give an acceptable CR. 

The 2MZ piston has a dome on the top, where as 3GR/4GR are dished with weird DI stuff on top of piston. 
So hopefully would be able to mill them down to a good CR if they are "too high" rather than the opposite. 

But who knows. 

4grpiston.JPG.5357a6d3652e5bd9f43db1c067b5036e.JPG

2mzpiston.JPG.ca184e56803c2f0a1dfd402b41404a09.JPG

• Like 3

Next update, and you have all the bits to build a frankenmotor for when this one dies haha, all cheap pickapart bits or FB marketplace etc

Do all the GR heads swap over between blocks?

Wonder which ones flow the best/are the best to port hmmmm

The 2GR heads will be best, since they have huuuugggggeee valves because of the much bigger bore (94mm bore vs 83mm 4GR) 
So as a result the valves are 7-8mm bigger diameter which is crazy. 

If you put a 2MZ crank into a 2GR then you end up around 2.9 litre with a stroke that "should" allow 10 or 11k rpm. 

I guess the thing is, first I just need to get a motor together and see what happens when it runs.
It is entirely possible that there is some insurmountable issue with the valvetrain (or whatever) so arguing semantics over which motor will do 11,000rpm is irrelevant when the whole thing explodes at 9000 anyway. Haha. 

God I love wildly speculating though 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Roman said:

The 2GR heads will be best, since they have huuuugggggeee valves because of the much bigger bore (94mm bore vs 83mm 4GR) 
So as a result the valves are 7-8mm bigger diameter which is crazy. 

If you put a 2MZ crank into a 2GR then you end up around 2.9 litre with a stroke that "should" allow 10 or 11k rpm. 

I guess the thing is, first I just need to get a motor together and see what happens when it runs.
It is entirely possible that there is some insurmountable issue with the valvetrain (or whatever) so arguing semantics over which motor will do 11,000rpm is irrelevant when the whole thing explodes at 9000 anyway. Haha. 

God I love wildly speculating though 

Im assuming youll be upgrading valve springs?

8 minutes ago, shrike said:

Keen for start up/running videos and shed skids ;)

Are your J160 all stock internals? Or have you had some mods done (Circlip?) Any idea how it'll go with many revs?

I'm assuming power and torque are within specs for it?

A friend races his RX7 with a 13B and a J160 and it's been pretty reliable for the most part (he's raced it since 2008).

However last round he blew 4th gear, so the circlip mod may be worth looking into.

The issue is a lot of the boxes for sale are all very high k's and it's not as easy as it used to be to find cheap good condition ones.