Racing lawnmower

a.craw4d

Because mowing lawns is overrated.

Picked up this husqvarna LT112 plus a parts mower last weekend.

Plan is to build it to NZ lawn mower racing specs (yes that’s a thing) even though there’s no club in the South Island, and just send it around the neighbourhood on the weekends and snow days.

A53748CB-492B-4F17-8726-A87738A97AD3.jpeg.8c50a741c9c9df49b8e9519fe48cde1a.jpeg

• Like 5

The old ‘ran when parked’ deal. Had been sitting for 12 months.  Got it home and chucked in some old 2 stroke mix I had laying around and jump started it. Once the starter decided to move it burst into life.
The throttle cable is broken so drove it around the house with the bonnet off while sticking my fingers into the throttle mechanism. Good times.
2233BA12-526D-4303-AA4F-49DFFCA6CCD3.thumb.jpeg.3c5c70414ee2a85940a9573938eea4dc.jpeg

I plan to keep the 12hp Briggs unit and work from there. Maybe even keep but modify the governor as a rev limiter that still gives wide open throttle on acceleration.

This will be a slow project and I’ll probably use this thread as a picture dump for useful info and ideas for when I start stripping and modifying the spare frame. 
If anyone has built similar or wants too please feel free to jump in with your 10c worth.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have the same mower, only down side (I guess) is they are super low geared std. I put big ass tyres on mine, and changed the pulleys to increase the gearing (around 250% increase from memory) and with no governor it will get to around 55kmh on the beach, which feels quite quick on a mower. Standard carb too.

I believe most of the racing ones have a little stand alone gearbox, which has a belt input and chain output, and then they run a go kart spec rear axle. You just have to take the reverse chain out of the box before it removes itself from the increased RPM.  

I started building a NZ racing spec one years ago, but never finished it, like most of my projects, lols.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shizzl said:

I saw a group racing these at Crank up in Edendale a few years ago.

they were part of a club possibly out of Gore.

most of their rigs were modified reel mowers, was crack up

Mataura I think. Dude I went to school with raced reel mowers a million years ago

4 hours ago, Vintage Grumble said:

I have the same mower, only down side (I guess) is they are super low geared std. I put big ass tyres on mine, and changed the pulleys to increase the gearing (around 250% increase from memory) and with no governor it will get to around 55kmh on the beach, which feels quite quick on a mower. Standard carb too.

I believe most of the racing ones have a little stand alone gearbox, which has a belt input and chain output, and then they run a go kart spec rear axle. You just have to take the reverse chain out of the box before it removes itself from the increased RPM.  

I started building a NZ racing spec one years ago, but never finished it, like most of my projects, lols.

Yeah my plan at this stage is centrifugal clutch on motor, belt or chain drive to right angle gearbox, then chain drive to rear axil.  A big gearbox in the rear would mean a higher seating position plus I imagine trying to change gear while feeding it the jandle could get tricky.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vintage Grumble said:

We used them at the indoor go karting place i worked at, just bolted onto the output shaft of the ol briggs donk and gains were made 

@a.craw4d any go kart places in dunedin ?  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, a.craw4d said:

Any pictures @Vintage Grumble?

Re removing governor, part of it's internal. Did you pull all that out or just disconnect the external linkages and hook the throttle cable directly onto the butterfly?

Yeh just do that, I've never opened my motor to remove the internal stuff. The factory carb works well on mine. 

• Thanks 1

Question.

With the governor removed and giving the full jandle. What will be the limiting factor that stops it revving to the moon?

Is it the valves that won't keep up?

If I shim or double spring them then what's next?

I hear the conrod's a weak point but might be able to make a steel one easily enough.

Just trying to suss out what I can or should do but keeping the risk of explosion on the low side.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

So I keep looking at this and wondering where to start, how things will work, where will the top of the wheels end up, how will the rear guards fit etc etc.  Decided fuck it, just start building and make shit fit when I get there.

Will fairly much copy the steering set up from my shopping trolley go kart. It’s simple and works.
Picked up these rod ends and a sweet little universal joint I’ll use on the steering shaft.

4C837EB7-7DB6-45BC-B2D6-6E4B01730E85.thumb.jpeg.fbb79e0236ae3b0503f727f10a9ae158.jpeg

Have been looking for a right angle gearbox. Seen a couple of mower racing guys selling used units for $150 and saying they’re hard to get, thought that must be the going rate.
By chance I was driving past a Norwood’s branch and popped in to ask if they knew where to get them. I roughly explain what I’m after without actually knowing what I’m after. Turns out a new off the shelf 18hp right angle box is only $185+gst. And they have tons of them.  Will go grab one when I need it.

Hopefully over Easter I’ll strip the spare mower and make a start on the front end.

• Like 8

• 9 months later...

Hi all

i just came across this page and wondered if anyone was interested in purchasing a ride on mower (without the mower). My dad spent many hours converting one which he used essentially like a quad bike around a lifestyle block, he has since had a stroke and cannot use it so it has been parked up in the garage for a number of years.

If anyone is keen please reach out all offers will be considered. We are based in Christchurch.

Its is a John deer engine and I have photos -  but I can’t see to be able to insert them here.

Many thanks 

Penny

• Like 1