Flame MACKAZs Vulcan

MACKAZ

I've been all blah blah about getting another bike for quite a while

On the 4th December I bought this thing

1997 Kawasaki Vulcan VN1500 D2 Classic. I call it the 10 footer. As in It looks mint from 10 feet at 10 miles an hour.

IMG_20221208_204058_188.jpg

Been owned by a "tough biker type not man enough to admit its not a Harley”.

He's lowered the back guard. I lifted it up to original but didn't like it. I have lowered it back down.

It's got some Aliexpress chrome taillights with dead sections. Bought some more then...

ae_1671085838021.jpg.b9bd6f8bb02a9cafb5363fc93451f044.jpg

Ones a non worker. Another one coming. While at it I've rectified some mean as twist and tape wiring/whole new loom for the taillights. The brackets for the pillion seat were completely missing which i have sourced and fitted.

Plans are a cosmetic rebuild over winter involving a colour change. The paint on it is nicely done (black with green metallic fleck/green pearl over top but the prep on the tank looks like its been bogged and sanded with 36 grit and primed with no rub back. The filler can be seen clear as day. Apparently it was hit by a woman with a tomahawk. It may need a new tank. Cross that bridge when I get to it. I need to tidy the horrendous muffler "delete". They've hacked it out and made a hash of it. Its rowdy and my neighbours hate it. Good...

I'm also looking for an original taillight to fit back on.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, and I appreciate that. It was cheap (I think) at $6200. I didn't need to travel south and fell well within my budget. My wife likes it and that is the biggest hurdle.

It's got torque for Africa but it's not super fast. It is HEAVY!!! Weighs 292kgs. It's like riding a barge. Far cry from all of my other bikes in the past.

It turns heads, gets thumbs up and I'm stoked with it

• Like 9

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man! I've found the biggest change was getting used to the forward controls and the toe/heel changing. I've clocked just over 100kms riding on it. I use it to go to work on on fine days. I got caught out second time I rode it and it pissed down. It's an experience in greasy conditions

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I've covered a whopping 163kms on this in just under a month. I'm getting used to the weight and size of it. Had a front header pipe nut disappear as well as both holding the top muffler on. Thankfully they're just a standard metric nut so after spending an hour at my storage unit I found my stash of hardware as well as my MIG, vice and drill press.

• Like 1

God no. It's already too obnoxious. Those "mufflers" have been gutted and straight pipe shoved in, or so Captain Harley told me when I bought it. 

Part 8 in picture is the primary muffler. It's had sections of pipe installed to remove it. Has been done very average

Screenshot_20230102_185916_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

The worst thing I know about those is the "back torque limiter" clutch. What that means is that effectively you have no engine braking as the torque limiting mechanism lets it freewheel. It's quite possible to get into trouble downhill on bad surfaces. Just when you'd like a bit of engine braking to stabilise things - you don't have any.

Otherwise they seem bulletproof.

• 3 months later...

Cosmetic rebuild starting this weekend I think. The bubbling on the tank has got really bad. Got a few holes to weld up after Captain Harleys lowering job on the back guard. Might have a go at making a combined backrest/saddlebag mount out of aluminium 

IMG_2227.jpeg

• Like 4

Well bit the bullet and pulled the guards and tank. And then I dropped the tank….

Judging by what I found the tomahawk legend is trueIMG_2236.thumb.jpeg.3507c88cce684fd93b4cef96689c9af9.jpeg

This tank isn’t totalled but there’s A LOT of work that is needed to repair it. Captain Harley strikes again. Fuel seepage into the bog that’s 15-20mm thick in places. And it’s pretty fresh by the smell of it.

Im waiting on pics of a tank with minor side damage that SHOULD take less time to repair.

Removed some other redundant wiring that was for the blue leds.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Found a shit ton more on the side and top of the left side (sitting on the bike). Sharp and deep with the obligatory birdshit MIG welding.

I have called time on this tank. It’s too far gone for my abilities. I have ordered the other tank from down south. 

• Like 1