Diffs

johnny.race

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Asked in another post if anyone had had anything to do with adapting Wilwood calipers onto a Hilux differential - nothing. Hmmm. I'm going to purchase a pair of the (currently out of stock) Cardwell ones Pt No 120 - 13517 and fit them onto a Hilux differential. Thats current intention anyway. I know nothing about Wilwoods. I've never mucked around with any aftermarket brake calipers previously. Realm of race cars and rich pricks I always thought. Priced a pair of OEM style rear calipers with the integral handbrake that fit onto OEM rear vented rotors, lately? Thus the reason I am looking at the aftermarket option. I learned what radial mount' meant yesterday also too, lol!

Another direction to get to the same place I am looking at is this also ...

1436948801_20200807_105812(Large).thumb.jpg.725ed10ab7eb917abe914c7df14ba536.jpg

1828212103_20200807_105836(Large).thumb.jpg.0a9ab614815b5879ed2c25d7ff98cc4c.jpg

OEM vented rotors, a mech' aftermarket spot caliper and a soon to be identified OEM 4 pot from off the front of something. Both efforts aimed at a WOF application. Anyway ...

1 hour ago, Mark_Fleming said:

johnny.race - excuse my confusion.....what is your question regarding the wilwood 4 pot and auxiliary handbrake calipers?

Oh, I originally asked (and still are) if anyone had had any experience fitting Wilwood 4 pots (of the type that come with the integral handbrake) to a Hilux diff. Plus I also showed I was attempting to get to the same place using an OEM front caliper in conjunction with a mechanical spot caliper. Two efforts to reach an end state of vented rear disc/caliper setup on a Hilux diff that will pass cert. 

I have the same spot caliper setup from wilwood on a 9-inch.....the puck (brake pad) really is only for handbrake purposes.....I take it that's all you intend as well? If you need a bracket for that floating caliper PM me and I can lend you the Wilwood one for comparative purposes

2 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

@cletus do all wilwood calipers meet cert requirements? Some dont have dust covers or something?

Have not had any issues for cert with wilwood calipers, most dont have dust seals on the pistons, I think there might be a rule in aussie where they are required as I've seen some advertising somewhere saying " x caliper has seals so are legal" 

The wilwood handbrake ones however, I've never seen any that work very well,  they often struggle to pass the handbrake requirements for cert which is 30 to 0 kph in 18m or hold on a 1 in 5 gradient 

• Like 2

@johnny.race I saw some radial mount brackets on a hilux diff the other day and they were like this, I didnt look very closely as they were asking me about something else , may have only been picking up 3x axle bearing bolts. I think they started with a thick piece of steel they whittled down on a mill  

20200807_144156.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark_Fleming said:

I have the same spot caliper setup from wilwood on a 9-inch.....the puck (brake pad) really is only for handbrake purposes.....I take it that's all you intend as well? If you need a bracket for that floating caliper PM me and I can lend you the Wilwood one for comparative purposes

Cheers Mark. A pic would suffice matey, if you could. and yup - I am heading towards what you have going on. Ta.

Cheers Clint @cletus I had an idea they would be looking something like your pic. I'm just scoping out the scene at the moment and collecting parts and idea's. I am having the hell time getting ahold of s4/s5 fc rears now. Strange that - they only stopped making them near 30 odd years, lol!

Clint/Johnny, those silly little calipers are just glorified go-cart brakes with a manual mechanism as opposed to hydraulic. The trick is to set them up for a hard lock on the first few notches of the handbrake pull....I haven't tried using mine in an emergency braking situation.....and hopefully never have to....

• Like 3

@Mark_Fleming thanks for the info above Mark, this is excellent insight to something I've always wondered about. Out of interest, for the 9", is that main adapter plate in the diagram (that bolts to the housing) ... is that holed' for multi fit (like does it do both early and late big bearing bolt patterns) or do they use specific plates for each application. No biggie - just wondering. Cheers.

• 1 month later...
On 11/08/2020 at 15:32, Mark_Fleming said:

SR1600 - I really like those calipers with the integrated handbrake mechanism....any chance you can dissect one and show us the lever mechanisms? I take it there is some form of "paddle" between the piston and the pad to pull them together when in operation?

I got some in. Here's how these ones actuate the handbrake mechanism ...

1st 2 pics of what they look like with pads fitted.

269843055_20200919_133015(Large).thumb.jpg.9d5826010dcfae51cb2b51423adc23b3.jpg

794717262_20200919_133040(Large).thumb.jpg.f5853bfcf462ac7cf03fc05082c0bed1.jpg

These next 3 pics are taken with pads removed and the handbrake levers showing their movement. Basically each lever presses against the steel backing plate of each pad moving them against the rotor. 

888198849_20200919_133249(Large).thumb.jpg.008c374b73b85477eef63390e77a89f4.jpg

774242661_20200919_133212(Large).thumb.jpg.aebcfa1d8e44f1e451686cfb31b8bab1.jpg

1399290672_20200919_133312(Large).thumb.jpg.586741b5799d459309278c9f2c9c22d2.jpg

Might talk to @Taistormsometime about how to go about the handbrake setting up if I can't figure something out myself. But yeah, this is how the Wilwood Powerlite handbrake setup essentially gets it done.

• Like 3