MMMINI'S NEW MINI PROJECT 64 MORRIS MINI MINOR

mmmini

• 4 weeks later...

Hey yoeddynz, yeah I think they are either prelude or crx seats. They have been installed quite well and the last owner told me that they were WOF compliant however the wof guys at my local garage said they won't pass it until I replace them (or show them I have alternatives to fit). I have one good original seat but want to get myself a decent period drivers bucket seat for it so will replace the passenger seat to get through this WOF and then sort something out for the drivers seat.

Yeah would like to respray in original blue however will be a while before I have the coinage for that so just going to make do with the brg - may look at getting some sort of old school 60's decals for it to try and make it look a bit better.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Cheers @Nominal yeah she looks good in the pics, but I could definitely do with getting the base a bit smoother. Hopefully it’s only temporary, or at the most a year or two, and I can find the time and money to do a proper job on it. 

• Thanks 1

@kws it has actually been a fair few rattle cans so far so hasn’t worked out as cheap as I thought it would. I’ve used 6 cans of base and 3 clear and I’m only halfway through. Base coat cans are about $30 each and the clears are around $40each. I won’t be doing the roof at this stage so that at least cuts down on a fair bit of paint.  It looked pretty bad with a bit of crazing going on, and wouldn’t cut and polish up very well. However i gave it a rub down with a couple of different grades of scotchbrite pads and has come up looking a lot better. 

Lurk here, 

https://totalbodyshop.co.nz/collections/garage-sale

If you are gona repaint the whole thing and or don't care too much about a respray in thr original colour you can get a few litres reasonably priced. The dulon lightning mcgreen is a bit lighter but might suit

Dulon is a bit old tech, but pretty fine for an old car, it's probably painted in something similar. I touched up chrisr's tonner with it and it's still stuck on

Not as "bad" as 2k (the bad stuff is mostly in the clear), but If you did a solid 2k base you wouldnt have to do a clear (although the added UV protection of clear helps) 

• Thanks 1

Hey @tortron nah I really wanna keep it the original colour “Surf blue”. The local paint shop were able to match it in their system using the original 1960’s paint code. The sills, floorpans inside the car, the boot, and all of the underside of the car is still in the original colour. The underside paint has been preserved pretty well by a couple of costs of British racing green but it peels off pretty easy so I’m going to strip all that back to original at some point. So hoping to just respray above the sill-line in new paint and keep the rest original. 

Places like Total Body Shop can also make up a couple of litres of paint matched paint to go through a gun, instead of cans. Might be the better option for me too, I just wanted to be lazy but 20 odd cans to do a car might be a bit much :lol:

• 1 month later...