Vibration above 70kph - Mk2 Cortina

PHLEX

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also got this prob with my zephyr, took the d/s in and they rebuilt it. Went for a drive and all good, then coming back over the motor way it just started vibrating again.. took it back in and they balanced it, still did it, drove 1200km on it no change. Took it back in and they said it was out of balance from factory and unrepairable. Put another unit in with my "new" unis, still does it.. have yet to have this one balanced. Could also be your diff input, that's my next port of call if another balance doesn't work..

Ok managed to rig up a dial gauge and sure enough both hub faces are wobbly. Drivers side is definitely worse but both of them are out of whack

Drivers is out by .5mm and passengers is out by .4mm

is machining my best option now or are they too far out? 

I personally don't reckon, have you seen how the tyre fitters put spider rims? You will when you start passing the vehicle hah. 

Bummer you haven't found the issue man, pretty impressed with your diagnosing though bro. You should become a mech. 

Might as well remove them and check the outer bearings man. 

• Like 1

I measured my rims once and they were something like 4mm out so I dunno that you've found it sorry Phlex.

I can't remember if you have borrowed a gearbox of not yet. That's a fairly simple and cheap thing to try if someone's got a good one. Once upon a time I'd have lent you three at a time! 

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the info guys!  Since its up in the air I might drain the box, take the driveshaft out and get somebody to tow me up to motorway speeds to see if it still does it without the gearbox attached to the spinny bits. Thinking about it now .5mm and .4mm doesn't seem like much compared to how buckled some wheels i've had in the past have been that haven't been nearly as bad!

And as for being a mechanic I have seriously considered it. I've got enough tools and diagnostic gear to make most apprentices jealous

• Like 1

0.5 mm at a distance of 100 mm from the hub axis would equate to approximately 2.5 mm at the centre of the shaft, assuming the whole shaft is bent at the centre. In that case, 2.5 mm would probably be beyond tolerance and probably cause substantial vibration.

But yeah, try with the gearbox disconnected, or try inspect the wheel bearings for any roughness.

• Like 3

Thanks ajg193 that makes some sense. Hoping to get some more time to diagnose tomorrow. If the vibration is still there I will focus my attention on the axles and bearings, if its gone ill pull the gearbox out and get it to somebody who can figure out what's going on.

About to jump in the car and go to pick up a pair of good spare axles to rule those out. I will test drive and if it hasn't fixed it I'll swap the springs over back to the crappy old ones and if it's still no better then I'll disconnect the driveshaft and get towed down the motorway 

I only measured the very outer edge of the hub flange so will have a look at the inner before I pull them out so I have a reference point 

SO picked up a spare pair of axles, chucked them in this evening and re measured. Drivers side has gone from 0.50mm to 0.10mm and the passengers from 0.40mm to 0.10mm hopefully that's going to help.  I was 5 beers deep at the time i finished so decided to test drive tomorrow. I will report back!

• Like 7

Ok went for a drive yesterday morning. Vibration has definitely reduced but is still there above 70kph just doesn't feel like the cars shaking itself completely apart now but still a noticeable shake. I notice when I let my foot right off the gas and then press it on and off slightly I get a clonk clonk noise from the back end, I have had this previously in a Ute and it was the diff starting to go but in this instance I have replaced the diff with a good spare and it didn't make a difference.

I will swap springs over and see if that does anything otherwise its off with the driveshaft!

Had a similar issue many years ago , turned out there there was a pair of pliers inside the tyre , had almost completely rooted the inside of the tyre though the wire, we had the tyres balanced but the pliers  where almost held in suspension by all the rubber fluff from the pliers spinning in the tyre

• Like 5