Importing a vehicle from Australia to New Zealand

Taistorm

Hey guys,

Considering moving back to NZ later this year or start of next year as I may have a sweet job opportunity available. If I do I'd be wanting to bring my Mazda over with me. What I'm wanting to know is costs involved to land it and also the compliance process, tax to pay etc. The vehicle is located in Perth and I'm looking to ship to Auckland if I do. I think this may have been covered before but the search is really crap to use on my mobile.

Another thing is that the vehicle is extensively modified. This includes a engine transplant which would be about 400% power increase from factory, Transmission swap and modified, custom diff, brakes, fuel setup, body mods including gussets, strengthened plates, custom firewall/Trans tunnel etc.

The vehicle is not currently a runner however will be when ready to ship. It also has had all the major structural rust cut out but has small amounts here and there (e.g bottom of doors, door mirror mounts etc and some surface rust).

I have owned this car for 2 years and it is currently registered to w.a.

After having a quick look through various Google searches shipping itself may be around 2000-3000 then maybe 2000 compliance plus cert and maybe tax? Because of the type of vehicle, longevity of ownership and condition that I'd be moving back to NZ it looks like I may be exempt to certain taxes but not too sure.

Has anyone done this before and if so could you shed some light?

Cheers in advance,

Tai

**also if you are about to suggest selling it and buying something local please don't. This car owes me a huge amount of money and it has caused me A LOT of stress with the whole court shit I had to go through during its build. There aren't many 1300s in NZ especially built in this style so i will probably end up keeping it for the years to come.

Your car should be fine to bring back as it's >20 years old, but can't be on-sold within two years otherwise it will attract some sort of Customs tariff.

Guessing it will undergo LVV certification as part of compliance once it gets here. I'd give John (S124AB) and/or Clint a holler and see what they think.

Personally I'd budget $2000 for shipping/fees and $2500 for compliance/certification and maybe a bit extra to cover any "surprises" found during the process...

Also check these three links out:

http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate/sendingitemstonz/motorvehicles/pages/default.aspx

http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/resources/factsheets/Documents/Fact%20Sheet%2029.pdf

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/44/

• Like 1

MAF might charge you to clean it.

They did for me and it was already clean.

When I looked in the places where they said they cleaned it there was no change.

I paid around 800 for Vin inspection including 1 year rego and a new wof.

Easiest way is to get it on the road there and then de-register it there. Then you will get a receipt thing from the w.a transport dept and you will have no hassles here.

Make sure you tell the shipping agent you are going to register it here and you need a border inspection or whatever it is called. That is where your chassis number gets entered into the system.

• Like 1

Your car should be fine to bring back as it's >20 years old, but can't be on-sold within two years otherwise it will attract some sort of Customs tariff.

Guessing it will undergo LVV certification as part of compliance once it gets here. I'd give John (S124AB) and/or Clint a holler and see what they think.

Personally I'd budget $2000 for shipping/fees and $2500 for compliance/certification and maybe a bit extra to cover any "surprises" found during the process...

Also check these three links out:

http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate/sendingitemstonz/motorvehicles/pages/default.aspx

http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/resources/factsheets/Documents/Fact%20Sheet%2029.pdf

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/44/

Cheers for the info and links Edrion. Will have a good look through when I'm close to a computer.

Cert ranges from 500-1000 depending on the level of modifications and the certifier.

Compliance is only about $500

If you need a repair cert for structural repairs (which you probably will by the sounds) theres another $400 odd as well.

Do you think a repair cert from Australia would suffice? I haven't got any but everything has been done mint and painted up so far and i could probably arrange something in perth. I do have pictures from when the steel was welded in as well if that counts for anything.

MAF might charge you to clean it.

They did for me and it was already clean.

When I looked in the places where they said they cleaned it there was no change.

I paid around 800 for Vin inspection including 1 year rego and a new wof.

Easiest way is to get it on the road there and then de-register it there. Then you will get a receipt thing from the w.a transport dept and you will have no hassles here.

Make sure you tell the shipping agent you are going to register it here and you need a border inspection or whatever it is called. That is where your chassis number gets entered into the system.

Cheers bro. One thing I was trying to avoid is having to put it through aus 'engineering'(cert) then having to put it through NZ cert as I'd be paying for the same thing twice. In Aus engineering will cost me around 1000-2000 so if I can avoid this that would be great.effectively the vehicle will be ready for engineering before I take it back.the vehicle is still currently registered however but it is off the road while the work is being carried out. I've just kept paying for it as there is no 'rego on hold' here.

Do you think a repair cert from Australia would suffice? I haven't got any but everything has been done mint and painted up so far and i could probably arrange something in perth. I do have pictures from when the steel was welded in as well if that counts for anything.

Hmmm im not sure, id say the inspector here would be wanting to be satisfied it was the ok, clint might know otherwise though.

With the Impala the repair cert inspector had to look at my car all the way through the process, in saying that it was a pretty major job structurally in comparison. 

• Like 1

Cheers bro. One thing I was trying to avoid is having to put it through aus 'engineering'(cert) then having to put it through NZ cert as I'd be paying for the same thing twice. In Aus engineering will cost me around 1000-2000 so if I can avoid this that would be great.effectively the vehicle will be ready for engineering before I take it back.the vehicle is still currently registered however but it is off the road while the work is being carried out. I've just kept paying for it as there is no 'rego on hold' here.

so its still registered?

you should be sweet then. just de-register it there and then get a border inspection here, then vin and cert together

• Like 1

The only issue I can see is if there are structural repairs required in multiple areas you risk the vehicle being marked as imported as a damaged vehicle. The same possibly goes for previous repairs too. If I was you I would start feeling out a compliance place in NZ before doing any work in OZ to see what they think, because it will basically come down to their discretion (unless flagged for multiple issues at the NZTA border inspection) and I am sure the right person would be able to give you some guidance.  

Last time I looked there wasn't any roll on roll off ships between Perth and NZ, this meant you really need to pay for a whole 20ft container. You can sub out the unused portion of space if you want but from memory the costs were around 4-8000 all up. Quite vague I know but it was a few years ago.