Minimum cylinder wall thickness

Ja1lb8

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I have seen the dude in South Africa has a thick wall V57. He is the only one I have ever heard of finding one. I know some L builders have gone through 10s of LD blocks looking for decent thickness and not found any. 

You are better off with a short rod in a road motor anyway. I can't see any need for the taller block unless you are going over 90mm stroke. 

Yea, thought I was onto a winner with the  v57 block but no dice.Have heard of thick wall examples coming out of industrial appilacations, forklifs and gen sets.

And yes Im well aware that using the l28 block would be much eaisier but i want to go bigger then 3.1l and looking more then 90mm  of stroke. Sooo... have hacked up a few cranks,An RB30 and ld28 crank. Options are to offset grind using smaller journal rod, 45mm out of a honda that looked like it would work or new custom cank.I just installed a large churchill grinder in my workshop that should be suitiable this project i think?

• Like 1

90mm stroke is still quite small. Any 100mm cranks available?

Na, Stock l28 is 79mm ld28 is 83 and rb30 is 85mm which you can make fit with some machining as they have the same bore spacing, anything bigger then that and its gotta be custom made.

Problem with the longer stroke is you run out of deck height to get a decent ratio.  Also the bigger the throw on the crank the closer you get to side of the block.

Just for a rough comparison heres a rb30(similar size to a l28) next to  a barra 4.0l

http://s249.photobucket.com/user/ja1lb8/media/20160625_101418.jpg.html

And heres my grinder , havnt sat the grinding head back on it yet. Had to remove it get the weight down, think it comes  in just over 4t

And yes I know its  a cylindrical grinder but its pretty easy to offset grind with these machines.

http://s249.photobucket.com/user/ja1lb8/media/20160625_101418.jpg.html

• Like 1

High capacity churbro 6, sure Ford was 10-20 years late producing one but they did a good job when they finally did it.

I'd put one in an S30Z.

Probably not over an L31/2/3 though, simply because I love the sound of an L on triples.

• Like 2

High capacity churbro 6, sure Ford was 10-20 years late producing one but they did a good job when they finally did it.I'd put one in an S30Z.Probably not over an L31/2/3 though, simply because I love the sound of an L on triples.

The thought had crossed my mind. My zeds got an rb30 in it at the moment and can only just shut the bonnet so theres about 0 chance of getting a ford 6 in there. Was surprised how small the rods are in the ford engine. If you look at engine in the link above theres a mangled rod sitting on top that it spat out the bottom of the sump. Think its outa the earlier 240kw turbo ba falcon

The thought had crossed my mind. My zeds got an rb30 in it at the moment and can only just shut the bonnet so theres about 0 chance of getting a ford 6 in there. Was surprised how small the rods are in the ford engine. If you look at engine in the link above theres a mangled rod sitting on top that it spat out the bottom of the sump. Think its outa the earlier 240kw turbo ba falcon

You need a vw vr6. Available in 3.6l and are the same length as a 4cyl. A mate is in the process of fitting one to his 260z

VQ+T all day.

Steal the motor out of Fletchs maxima.

I wouldn't touch an euro engine.

I was at a mates workshop today. 06 m spec with a blown clutch. Replacement parts are $5k. Fuck that all day.

Lol ok then i wont touch any jappa after seeing the cost of a trans rebuild for a gtr