Machining and welding Turbo Exh Housing options/opinions (in WGTN)

~Slideways~

Hi guys,

I have a Holset HX35 turbo which is going on my race car project, it's the internal wastegate with 5 bolt downpipe flange type.

I'm thinking about machining it down and welding on a 3" v-band flange as well as welding up the internal wastegate (will use external).

Does anyone have a suggestions of who in Wellington can do this, and do it properly so it wont crack? i.e. not just mig it on cold.

Since it is going on a track car it is likely to get hotter than a road car so I don't want to be dealing with cracks etc.

Alternatively I would need to get a flange laser cut since I can't find anyone with this pattern and I need to block the wastegate anyway.

Flange pattern:

7FCBA458-22B7-47FF-A2C9-019E7F76FD37_zps

Would machine down (lathe maybe?) the rear section to be flush with the wastegate flapper surface, which gives a flat surface to weld the v-band to. Added bonus is a shorter section of 2.5" 'bottle neck' in the housing.

552F1115-9202-4309-BA61-4DAE360BCBA7_zps

If holset is anything like the borgwarner or Garrett you should be able to find a housing which has the attributes you need for less than the machining costs to modify the existing unit.

suggest find what you are looking for on somewhere like extreme PSI then buy via EBAY for a fraction of the price. it will be worth if for the smoother flow through the housing as you delete the cutout for the entry to the back side of the wastegate flapper.

EDIT Such as: (depending on whee sizing)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hx35-H1C-18cm-Holset-Turbine-Housing-3519410-/172217973210

If holset is anything like the borgwarner or Garrett you should be able to find a housing which has the attributes you need for less than the machining costs to modify the existing unit.

suggest find what you are looking for on somewhere like extreme PSI then buy via EBAY for a fraction of the price. it will be worth if for the smoother flow through the housing as you delete the cutout for the entry to the back side of the wastegate flapper.

EDIT Such as: (depending on whee sizing)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hx35-H1C-18cm-Holset-Turbine-Housing-3519410-/172217973210

The 12cm divided housing is the sought after one and makes it hard to find. There is a vband housing be the size is unique to Holset so would need machining anyway.

That one you linked is an 18cm housing so far too big for what I need, but thanks for the suggestion (that 4 bolt type would be easier to work with).

• Like 1

Also, what is with the crazy shipping costs on ebay!? For example a $10 gasket is $95 USD to ship!

I had the same problem with trying to get a tiny brake flaring part, the shipping was going to be $60 usd for a 5c coin size part (which was $2.50 and they refused to use anything but USPS.

Get the waste gate welded shut. Get a flange laser cut for the out let and weld on a v band to that. Or you can get a single entry .7ar housing from bullseye

Flange with vband is the 2nd option, I need a gasket to do with so sourcing one now.

useless post - just incase you were going to get a replacement rear housing, beware that the integral vband flange on the no wastegate version of the hx35 is a weirdo and you have to machine it to fit a normal 3" vband clamp, its easy but not a easy win.