Raizer's 92 Delica "XL SALOON" Van Lyfe of Fail & HiAce of win

Raizer

I miss that seat already, only because it stopped the groceries falling off the end of the bench seat haha!

Got the wood shit in the back "finished" enough for now, as expected it's ended up ugly as fuck!

uRvc8Qj.jpg

But it is proving to be very functional so far, so there's that at least.

And no I don't plan on keeping the fuel cans there, just need to borrow a welder to mod my trailer a bit then there coming out of the van.

Found an off-cut of some heavy mesh I had tucked away, bit of bending and once I get hold of a welder it should make a good deck for my second mower to go on.

UmyOSTq.jpg

Thinking the petrol cans could go in steel boxes in front of the trailers mudguards maybe.

And had a bit of a nose at the Gallant I have been given if I want it

NYHnK7N.jpg

9DVAM5d.jpg

ouV6nG4.jpg

Don't think it'd be worth all the fucking around to put that engine in the van, so I'm just going to grab a few trim parts and badges from it I think.

It's fairly rotten, it's apparently being stored for a friend of the guy who owns the place, hasn't been touched in 10 years I think he said.

Just sent you a snap of it.

Wish I'd taken a pic of that small box behind the drivers headlight in the Mitsi, I dunno WTF it's for but the sticker on it says something like "Make sure you always close this box, don't drive with box open, NEVER store items in this box!"

Don't bother with the 1800 DOHC engine - they only have marginally more power than the 2L SOHC and it's all at the upper end of the tacho anyway. 

The box is there to form a cold air induction from behind the headlamp - the opening lid allows you to change the bulbs etc.

If you're able to get some parts off it that would be great - I'm after the grille and surround around the rear number plate if it has it.

• Like 1

It's going to a wreckers yard if don't take it, I'll have to double check that I can grab some parts off it still if I don't take the whole thing.

Shouldn't be a problem though, the owner is a real GC.

Yeah all the trim seems to be on it and not broken, even has a duck tail spoiler thing on the hatch.

Apparently the only thing wrong with it is the ECU, well the ECU and the fact it's now been sitting in an open paddock for 5 years.

yeah common for the ECU to leak caps or sometimes the idle stepper motor will short out and then take out the driver chips on the board. Usually caused by coolant leaking into the stepper motor.

GSRBOY200511071417ridefile2.jpg

That's the number plate surround I am after

• 4 weeks later...

It's been too wet to get out where the Galant is lately, will grab the grill/rear trim off it as soon as I can though if you still want them.

[Mitsubishi Sharn]

Decided I needed to sort out the tappet noise, so I went to set the tappets the other day, didn't quite go to plan.

Hadn't run into hydraulic lifters in rocker arms before :oops:

UwbZwOZ.jpg

Are the little valves "jet valves" or unneeded EGR shit?

Taking the top timing cover off showed where at least one of my oil leaks is coming from, really starting to envy JamieLux and the simplicity of his push rod Toyota van!

PSEC1cX.jpg

So today I ordered in a timing belt/tensioner kit and valve stem seals and cracked into getting the engine for new seals etc.

Whipped the cam off and started to clean up the lash adjusters/lifters, soo fucking filthy!!

The faces on all 4 inlet lifters are fucked too so will need to track down 4 more.

Ptjo245.jpg

Could explain the tappet noise... :doubt:

The cam seal was rock solid and pretty much not even touching the cam, pretty much a sign of things to come...

Pulled the crank pulley and lower timing covers off and found this lovely situation

k7VUWf6.jpg

j6q1cEc.jpg

BswUOWz.jpg

Note there is stickers on the fan shroud indicating the timing belt was done less than a year ago!  Clearly the balance shaft belt and all the seals were overlooked at that point, tensioner is fucked too.

Balance shaft belt was rock hard/never been changed, but it's tensioner looks/feels like new??

Pretty sure the water pump was changed at the same time as the cam belt, wiped the oil off it and it looks brand new, the mismatched bolts seem to confirm it's been changed too lol.

Crank and balance shaft seals were both rock solid and leaking, the oil pump seal was stuck firm to the pulley and was spinning in the housing!

RdH50qG.jpg

Couple cans of brake cleaner later and it's looking a bit better.

cjRLZiK.jpg

Other thing of interest is the spark plugs were 3 heat ranges hotter than stock :shock:

Just need to buy a valve spring compressor and track down some lifters now.

[/Mitsubishi Sharn]

Scored almost 2 sets of mint condition lifters from a 16v SOHC Galant, would have been 2 sets if I hadn't dropped one into the sump.

T8ax2rc.jpg

Took only one change of diesel and they were clean, my old ones got 8 lots and were still coming out with shit lol.

Armed with the worlds cheapest valve spring compressor and a couple meters of rope I set about changing the valve stem seals, which were about as fucked as every other seal in this engine.

VXi88SH.jpg

Really should have removed and blocked off the jet valves while I was in there!

All new seals and timing belt etc

ay57QlL.jpg

Boom

1KR8juF.jpg

Fired straight up, lifters primed in less than 30 seconds, blew clouds of smoke for a minute then cleared up, epic pinging gillie sounds though, had to loosen the balance shaft belt off a touch haha.

Have done close to 100k since, I'm touching wood as I type this but it hasn't lost one drop of oil or blown one puff of smoke! It's much smoother with the balance shaft doing it's job too.

No horribly loud metallic lifter clunking either which is a bonus lol.

There's 2 annoying noises that I thought originally were lifter noise, ones an almost clockwork sound that I'm now putting down to most likely being the jet valve tappets so I'm going to remove the adjuster screws completely.

The second I think maybe an exhaust leak around the manifold.

/sharn.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

:cry:  Still in Gisborne too, was deregged in 2013 I believe.

Wish I'd never sold the thing now!!

Since this thread has been dredged up, the Greenturd is still ticking away using all the petrol and much oil.

Removed the PCV and vented the cam cover to atmosphere, a lot of decel smoke went away and oil consumption slowed down a lot, but I'm going to have to admit the rings are going.

Changing from 15w40 to 20w50 oil has cleared up all the lifter ticking it had and slowed the oil loss down a bit more which is nice.

Boiled the brakes towing too much the other day, pedal has felt like shit since, really should change the fluid and get rid of the silverline pads one day soon.

It's a bit to start, it aways starts but it often takes a LOT of cranking.

Wish I could afford a HiAce haha.

• 3 months later...

Finally home, 915.8k of trouble free vanning completed!

I don't remember the last time I've had this much torque on tap, dunno how many of you know the Wharerata ranges between Nuhaka and Gisborne, but there's a few pretty decent hill climbs inc one big fucker that gets pretty steep, normally needing to chop down a gear or 3, this thing not only didn't chop down it held 100+ and would have easily accelerated :shock:

I don't think it did too badly on the fuel, well in comparison to what the Mitsi would have done before it shat itself/I've got no diesel point of reference to compare it.

Fielding-Palmy-Welly-Palmy = 505.4k using $65.98 (58.97L) in diesel giving 11.66l/100k or 24mpg, that included a lot of lurking around Wellington/Lower hutt and some decent hills.

Palmy-Hawkes Bay-Gisborne via the scenic route and giving it a bit of stick on the hills closer to home = 408.2k, $53.20 (51.20L) giving 12.54l/100k or 22.5mpg.

Even factoring in RUCs that seems like a cheap weekend away to me ha.

And since pic-less updates suck, I found @JoKer's factory

20170129_190407.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Little update for anyone interested in the life of a boring van haha

Since I've had it the HiAce had been using a touch of oil, think it was close to 2l since January, some can be easily explained by the cam cover gasket/grey goo leaking down the back of the head but it was deff getting a bit of blowby or similar as it was using noticeably more climbing hills/towing heavy loads.

Anyway I did the first service since I've owned it last week (it had been serviced less than 1000k before I got it), drained something really thin feeling (5w30 maybe?) and filled it with good old Delo 400 15w40.

We then did 1350+ k on it over the last week including some pretty decent hills inc overtaking everyone on the way up the Kaimais haha, hasn't gone down on the dip stick at all so thats a win in my book.

Did a trip up to Auckland and back last weekend, not trying to be fuel effeciant at all -see comment about Kaimais haha.

managed 1228.6k on 140.25l of diesel which gives 11.41L/100k or 24.75MPG for Igor, don't think that's too bad for a box on wheels right?

And with the oversize tyres that mileage is bang on, no 5k slow speedo here!

Just managed a clean sheet VTNZ WOF today too FTW.

And since pic-less updates suck...

zWK4Ux8.jpg

Need to work on making a rack for the line trimmer and a shelf over the mower engines to try organize it a bit nicer!

RCBe0Wn.jpg

It just won't leave!   Street sweeper guy threatened to send the council parking people round if I didn't get it off the road (he'd hit it 3 times with the sweeper truck by that point hahaha) so now every time I open the curtains I'm reminded why I will never buy another Mitsubishi...

/Ling post.

• Like 1

Can't complain about 24.75 mpg in a thing with all the aerodynamic features of a loaf of bread with the end sawn off crooked. It's not vastly dissimilar to what I'm getting from my petrol Falcon in daily use.

If you were nearby I'd find a place to hide that horrible green thing. Might be fun for the children to play with. Five speed column change? Teach them right, right from the start.