morkster

Lord Gruntfuttock's 1971 XY Fairmont Big Grunty Discussion

116 posts in this topic

Mmmmm fuck I love cooons. I've really gotta get one when I finish the MK3

Whatever else you change you absolutely must keep the column change and split bench seat. Fairmonts with that must be as rare as rocking horse shit now.

2 people like this

Yeah I will. Always wanted to slide a top-loader in it (love manual V8s) but as you say it's a bit different, and a 6 seater could come in handy for car runs...

Edit: not a split bench, proper buckets with a removable centre squab thing. The top bit pivots to make a seat of sorts or folds down for an armrest. Or you lift them out and there is a rudimentary centre console between the buckets.

ljr5kc4b.odt.jpg

Car is pretty tidy, just mechanical work really, apart from the expected wear and tear that I'm not worried about...

Love it!

Cheers for starting the discussion thread mork, was gonna do it myself to ask for advice during the build, but been in the shed...  :-D

1 person likes this

Bet a triumph motor would fit your wiper setup lucas splattered those units on alsorts.

Yeah was thinking something like that, I'm sure it's a common motor unit to lots of things. Just bought a Valiant one on tardme for $30 on the offchance. No research, just 'looks' like it'll fit. Will see how it goes...

i should have a spare one. let me know how you go. very nice car you have there. 

Cheers. Might take you up on that. I should have the Val part in a few days to see if the bits are interchangeable. Appreciate the offer...

looks very similar to the hq holden

if it is i got one that electrically its stuffed was full of water when i pulled it from the car but the body with the magnets is ok

can go to workshop and take some pics

Was hoping someone would have something like that. :-)
 I've just bought a Valiant one that looks similar, I'll get back if it doesn't fit.
Cheers...

Good idea with removing the washer pump i had the same brainwave a couple of weeks ago for the Impala and am doing the same thing!

1 person likes this

Do you remember who you brought it from? Has it always been a Southland car? Looks like an old family friends who had one 25 years ago that colour down there.

Sweet Bushwhackers poster

Well spotted. Would have it hanging in the lounge if I could... :)

Swoon. Have wanted an XY Fairmont since I was a kid. Mainly 'cos a family friend had (and still has) one, a Copper Bronze, factory 302 T-bar auto, which he's owned since 1975.

IMG_2539_zpsmpuou0kp.jpg

Unfortunately with prices the way they are, it's looking like less and less of a reality of me actually getting to own one...

Yours looks like a really nice example though, keen to to see what happens with the engine

2 people like this

Swoon. Have wanted an XY Fairmont since I was a kid. Mainly 'cos a family friend had (and still has) one, a Copper Bronze, factory 302 T-bar auto, which he's owned since 1975.

Fark, 1975...?

Good effort that man. Looks great...

Nice whip.

From what I've read on the WWW, the eddy heads are bolt on and go at your own peril.

They say theyre full of sand, swarf, and that the valve springs are a bit weak. plus they say the valve jobs can be hit and miss too. 

So due dilligence before slapping them on. 

I hope youre fitting a monster cam, so you'll be swapping out the valce springs to match that anyway?