Tail light repairs. anyone ever made there own lense? or know somehwere that does?

Seedy Al

So, I'm currently gearing up to try get my ms110 crown wagon re-vinned hopefully the start of next year, Today while driving home I was thinking about what stuff I might need to do/ it might fail on.

It dawned on me my damn right hand tail light has a crack in it, and knowing how these re vin places are I'm sure the will be cunty enough to fail it.

Has anyone ever had a lense repaired/ remade before? or even attempted to make it for them selves?

I remember years ago reading somewhere that did it in Levin. but I cant find it, or even I remember where I found it.

Damn annoying really, these tail lights are going to be unobtainable......

Also found a place in Christchurch....... but from the picture I saw of a repair they did it looked like complete junk.......

Any help would be most great!

Cheers

Allan

• Like 1

It does not let out light or take in water........

maybe I should just take it off and ask inspector before I book it in and see what they say......

Also, looking for suggestions on places for a revin.

Vinz in lower Hutt seem pretty hit and miss a lot of the time....

I'm also keen to see if anybody here has moulded their own lenses.

My 260c wagon has un-obtainium lenses on the back.

So far I only have time as space to search for other people on the net who have done it. Brocky41 had some Chinese bloke on Facebook that was making them for 330 Cedric. They looked pretty good, but no photos of the process.

You can buy kits to make the molds and cast the lenses. Aluminite. Com or something

How far off is 3d printing from doing a lens, would it even be possible?

I don't think there is any way to produce a surface that's smooth enough or transparent enough.

I think you should put tape on the outside of the lense (over the crack) and then fill it from behind (so the tape prevents the epoxy from dribbling out and gives a smooth outer surface.

Then peel off tape and polish the shit out of things with wet and dry/abrasive polish.