Using car audio speakers with house stereo/240v?

Roman

Hey,

This might sound like a stupid idea, and it probably is.

But I've got a bunch of car audio stuff (think a big bass speaker thing and and amp for it that fills half a car boot) and some smaller speakers that go with it that dont otherwise have a use.

I was thinking rather than just sitting in the cupboard forever and ever I could set them up in the lounge or something.

Doable / good idea / bad idea?

Could I wire them straight in as normal speakers, or use the amplifier, or ???

Bits I've got are:

Thunder 2300 Power Amplifier

power Acoustik G540-2 GOTHIC series

A fusion 12" by the looks speaker in a ported box

And some smaller amps that have some 6" speakers and tweeters.

I know nothing about car audio, but these came from a friends car who was a car audio nerd back in the day.

Is it as simple as using a 240v > 12v converter type thing, or best to just flag the amps and wire speakers to a stereo?

Any comments/suggestions/etc welcome, thanks.

I built a stereo in the garage using an old PC power supply. Not sure that will help you though if your load is going to be quite high. I just run head unit and a couple of 6x9s.

Could always sell that gear, and buy more suitable speakers with the funds. Might be a lot less hassle.

Should be fine, but just check the ohms on the speakers, and the minimum allowable for the amp supplying (often written on the back). From memory some car speakers can be lower impedance, and will draw more current for a given power.

• Like 2

Yeah, impedance likely won't match but can always series/parallel some to make it work.

I just used a 12v battery and 12v current limited PSU with adjustment to make a makeshift charger and ran all car gear from the battery and was ace... Just s bit big and hard to move

• Like 1

Why is that? Wouldn't it just be a case of not enough juice? With a decent PC power supply you get well regulated 12v supply. Works well for headunit + speakers. But a PSU with enough juice for an amp wouldn't be cheap. I could be missing something else sparky wise though? 

It's because PC power supplies are switch mode and once they hit max current that's it, there's no reserve. Traditional transformer based power supplies with large capacitors will deliver higher current for very short times.

I used to run a small 13.8v power supply and a 12v battery, pretty similar to what tortron just suggested except it was a regulated power supply, chargers can can cause a fair bit of hum if left on while you're using the unit.

Yeah, impedance likely won't match but can always series/parallel some to make it work.

I just used a 12v battery and 12v current limited PSU with adjustment to make a makeshift charger and ran all car gear from the battery and was ace... Just s bit big and hard to move

My brother has had a setup just like this for the last ten years or so. Also if you look up 12v power supplies on trademe you can get high current ones pretty cheap these days because of all the led lighting people are using in their houses these days.