advice needed on correctly bending my kp steering knuckle

4AGEMAD

If it was mine, I would bend it

Mainly because I'm cheap, and wouldn't want to pay for another (providing its only a minor bend*)

Edit: its only 10mm, not 45 deg lol

That's only my opinion if it was mine, do what you like with yours

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

* Edited for clarity

Sorry I was babbling

BPW cast heavy trailer axles are heated orange hot to remove and fit kingpins

As are Mercedes truck axles. It specifies that in their manual. They even provide induction heater "special tool"

That's just an example off the top of my head as that's my line of work.

I ment if there's no obvious damage to the part, crack/stretch marks etc, I would heat it at the bend point, and put some pressure on it to push it back straight (pipe over end of knuckle and lean on it) quick wire brush, slap it back together.

But that's just my opinion, if it was mine

Do what you like

Good luck

Right, have at me

What people think i say

"Heat white hot and anneal in air, then hacksaw halfway through it in the middle of the arm and drill holes near the ball joint end, then heat white hot and drop in a bucket of ice water, fill hacksaw cut and holes with bog and watch it fall apart in 10 minutes."

Pretty sure if i said make a new arm out of inch thick plate with a CNC they would still think it was promoting fiberglass wheel bearing retainers or something.

• Like 1

Right you lot. End of the day it's written in the wof rules that you will fail a wof if a steering or suspension component "shows signs of welding or heating after original manufacture"

Here's the relevant page http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/steering-and-suspension/steering-and-suspension-systems

• Like 2

get out of it. I think we can have a healthy discussion around why it is perceived to be so dangerous.

It's perceived to be dangerous coz sometime in the early '80s some dude crashed his hackjob Zepher and some cop who didn't actually know what he was looking at blamed a cracked steering knuckle so they made it illegal. Just like stretched tyres and screamer pipes.